Tripods??

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m in the market for a new tripod but completely overwhelmed. Never used one but plan to heavily over the next few years now that I have quality optics.
Looking for opinions on a great tripod that is light weight and doesn’t break the bank. It will be mainly for spotting scope and binos and for backpacking. Trying to stay around $300 for tripod and pan head if that’s possible for a quality set up. Just not sure if a $450 outdoorsman is really twice as nice and usable as a $250 slik. Basically need to know if I should increase my budget cause. Thankyou kindly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m in the market for a new tripod but completely overwhelmed. Never used one but plan to heavily over the next few years now that I have quality optics.
Looking for opinions on a great tripod that is light weight and doesn’t break the bank. It will be mainly for spotting scope and binos and for backpacking. Trying to stay around $300 for tripod and pan head if that’s possible for a quality set up. Just not sure if a $450 outdoorsman is really twice as nice and usable as a $250 slik. Basically need to know if I should increase my budget cause. Thankyou kindly!!

Outdoorsman isn’t worth the $ over a slik or promaster IMO not to mention they are heavier. I like the promaster 525 carbon model for an all around tripod. Think I got it from cameralandny for $225 with ball head on sale a few years back.

That said I nearly never pack the promaster anymore. My sirui 0025 carbon is 12 or so ounces lighter and works fine when seated which I almost always am when away from the vehicle.

The ballheads that come with each work but the outdoorsman panheads are a nice upgrade. They are getting pretty outrageous with their pricing though. If you want a different head cameraland might sell the legs without the heads too.

Im moving out of CA (Tehachapi) tomorrow morning or I would have invited you up the hill to check em out!

- - - Updated - - -

promaster 525 carbon from cameralandny. gr8fulldoug on here. great quality tripod and really great price plus a rokslide discount.

not sure they are still running this deal but this is a nice tripod

Our #1 selling Promaster Carbon Fiber tripod only $149.99, was $279.99.LIMITED SUPPLY

Damn! That’s a steal.

Last edited:

neverquit

WKR
Me and all my buddy’s got nice tripods about 8years ago. Every one of them has broke theirs or chased the latest and greatest.....not me my outdoorsman is still trucking along. And every single piece is replaceable and available. Not that I’ve needed any thing. It does look like it’s been thru hell

carter33

WKR
I am giving field optics research a try, the microlite carbon specifically. They’re priced fairly and also lightweight. Time will tell as to durability but are worth looking at. Sportsman’s warehouse is carrying them now.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Sirui 025 with the ball head for glassing and shooting. It’s lighter than my Slik.
As far as I could tell it was the lightest most compact option. I picked it up off Adorama used for $140.

One thing I also like is that quick release adapter plates are easily available on Amazon.

I’m just learning about the slew of different adapters for the different brands. The tripod industry is a mess due to lack of any standards.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
About how heavy are the the ones you are running? What weight are you trying to stay under and have it still be steady and hold up to the rigors? Have sacrificed for the last few years cutting the weight in my pack now just to add twice as much.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got in the new Sirui's demos and for the cost they are sweet. they are light what and collapse down to only 17inch long. Cant tell you to much more then that but keep an eye out on 1 shot gear for when the get on it at the first of the year.

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Thankyou for all the input, decided on the promaster after comparing weight and price plus warranty. Got a great deal from Cameraland on the 525XC carbon plus a pan head.

Packsture

FNG
I am not sure you bought one yet but it seems that Slik Sprint Pro II is a bit reasonable and won't break the bank! It's great for all outdoor activities! It's about 4 to 4.5 lb in weight, not that bad. Google it and good luck!

Last edited:
Me and all my buddy’s got nice tripods about 8years ago. Every one of them has broke theirs or chased the latest and greatest.....not me my outdoorsman is still trucking along. And every single piece is replaceable and available. Not that I’ve needed any thing. It does look like it’s been thru hell

That’s what I was going to say. Outdoorsmans seem pricey until you’ve worn out a few. They are built like a tank, but not much heavier than a CF tripod. My two cents ...

Just got in the new Sirui's demos and for the cost they are sweet. they are light what and collapse down to only 17inch long. Cant tell you to much more then that but keep an eye out on 1 shot gear for when the get on it at the first of the year.

I was looking at one of the 1205 models that seemed like a good option for backpacking while also supporting a 77mm scope. Will you have a new model that fits that category?

cmahoney

WKR
I purchased a Sirui VA5 fluid head this year for using my 15’s and 80mm spotter. I’m really impressed with it, especially for the weight and price.

PNWflier

FNG
I sold my Outdoorsman medium compact for a promaster 525 from cameraland. The Outdoorsman might have been a little more durable but at 1/2 the price and a lighter carry the promaster was too good of a deal to pass on.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add... it came with the promaster ball head but also got the promaster fluid panhead. I've run both my 15x bino's and 80mm spotter on top of the panhead and it works great.

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
Went with a Sirui VA-5 head and Slik 634CF... had a vortex pro gt. Really happy with it, but it was twice the price of the Vortex and that did everything I needed it to. I just wanted to shave a little weight.

Just started our year end sale
You can get the Promaster XC525C tripod with the ball head and the SPCH20 Fluid head with Pan handle, normally $384.98 for only $299.99 thru Monday 12/31. We also stretch the 1 year no fault warranty to lifetime no fault. So if you are feeling pretty healthy it's one awesome warranty!!

Give us a call to order as it is not on our site at this price

Happy New Year

Joel

Shooter09

WKR
I really like the Sirui A1205 and VA5 head. The 024X was discontinued but I like it's replacement.

El_fuego

FNG
if you haven't bought one yet, check out the pro 724 CF from silk. There on close out right now on slik's website. I am very happy with mine. And throw on the va5 head and be good to go

Forest

WKR
if you haven't bought one yet, check out the pro 724 CF from silk. There on close out right now on slik's website. I am very happy with mine. And throw on the va5 head and be good to go
I just bought the same one, since i hadnt bought from them in the past i got an extra 10% off. $162 for a quality cf tripod seems like a steal. I picked up a new benro s2 head a while back. Excited with what i got for the money.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk