Trouble with Kenetrek Boots, what now?

OP
S
I had to read this twice to make sure I didn’t start this thread. I have the same problem. Sitting at about 30 miles on the same boots and have sheepfeet as well. Not excited about the prospects of having to change boots this close to season but I cringe at the thought of a 10 day trip in the Rockies with ill fitting boots. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet either. OP, I feel your pain.
yeah, tought to put the time and money and research into these things and they dont work out.

ztk17

FNG
The issue is that boot fit is highly subjective. Even if you find a guy who had the exact same issue(pain at the bottom of your feet), it doesn’t mean his current boot will also work for you.

I have Haglunds, and finding boots that work for my feet is ridiculously hard. Your best bet is to either go in person to a boot shop/hunting store and try on all the boots(and don’t discount non-hunting centric brands like Hanwag, Scarpa, Asolo, etc) or order up a bunch in a bunch of different sizes and suck up the return shipping fees.

The thing that killed me was that a lot of boots felt great in the house but as soon as I got them on the trail they let me know real quick they weren’t gonna work. I think that’s mostly the fault of the haglunds but either way, food for thought. I ended up buying a cheap pair of boot covers on Amazon to take boots out on the trail. They worked surprisingly well - the boots showed zero signs on wear and I was able to return all that I didn’t want… it isn’t like I hiked 50 miles or anything in them though, it was usually 5-10 miles or less including walking around the house.
What brand of boot covers did you buy ? I've just gotten burned by a pair that felt amazing inside and on sidewalks but crushed my heels so bad when I finally went hiking that I've had total numbness and sporadic nerve pain in them for two weeks. I don't plan on not being able to test boots on slopes again!

What brand of boot covers did you buy ? I've just gotten burned by a pair that felt amazing inside and on sidewalks but crushed my heels so bad when I finally went hiking that I've had total numbness and sporadic nerve pain in them for two weeks. I don't plan on not being able to test boots on slopes again!
MyShoeCovers Premium Reusable Shoe and Boot Covers for Contractors - 1 Pair, Black, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2AC1HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RJFC60SWHWVBF7KA5KQ8

Ive got about 50-60 miles on them on trails and they’re just starting to wear through. They’re not totally impervious(I wouldn’t take them on a hunt or anything), but they will let you get out enough to know if a boot works or not while keeping the boots in like new/returnable condition.

Last edited:

Gunner10

FNG
i have a pair of mtn guides that hurt my feet to the point they havent came out of the hunting closet for the last 2 seasons. need to find something or somewhere to do with them

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mtn extremes, i have 30-40 miles on them and my feet hurt every single time. They hurt within the first half mile of walking on flat ground. Not blistering, no friction, just horrible pains all throughout the bottoms of both my feet. I changed out their insoles and still hasnt helped. It hurts the most walking on flat ground.

I spoke with the company and they said it sounds like the boots just arent made for my foot.

I know this has been talked about in the past with blisters, arches, etc. But did anyone have similar pains at bottoms of feet, almost like pressure point pain. What boot fit you best when moving away from kenetrek? I unfortunately dont have any Lowa, Crispi dealers near me. This would be for Alaskan hunts as well as some Western hunts.

thanks in advance
I also had trouble with the Kentreks. I really wanted them to work, but just couldn’t get to a comfortable place. I went with the Crispi Guides and absolutely love them. No problems. Bottom line though, everyone’s feet are different and you just gotta find what works for you.

WRM

WKR
I'll throw it out there again, if you have an "odd" foot, get in touch with Lathrop. They carry a number of brands. The brothers likely can get you sorted. If you are really damned with hobbit feet, they may need to do some custom work on the boot for you. But, they can, and you won't be hunting if your feet are toast. So, call em.

The issue is that boot fit is highly subjective. Even if you find a guy who had the exact same issue(pain at the bottom of your feet), it doesn’t mean his current boot will also work for you.

I have Haglunds, and finding boots that work for my feet is ridiculously hard. Your best bet is to either go in person to a boot shop/hunting store and try on all the boots(and don’t discount non-hunting centric brands like Hanwag, Scarpa, Asolo, etc) or order up a bunch in a bunch of different sizes and suck up the return shipping fees.

The thing that killed me was that a lot of boots felt great in the house but as soon as I got them on the trail they let me know real quick they weren’t gonna work. I think that’s mostly the fault of the haglunds but either way, food for thought. I ended up buying a cheap pair of boot covers on Amazon to take boots out on the trail. They worked surprisingly well - the boots showed zero signs on wear and I was able to return all that I didn’t want… it isn’t like I hiked 50 miles or anything in them though, it was usually 5-10 miles or less including walking around the house.
pretty clever solution!

boot fit is indeed subjective, good reply!

SpringTom

FNG
Definitely speak to a custom orthotics maker. I'm not sure where you live, but nearby me there is a person who does custom boot fitting. I guess people use them for ski boots, roller skates, anything that could use a custom fit. Its worth a shot. Kenetrek boots are amazing, though you obviously aren't having that experience.

When I got my Desert Guides they felt very similar to how yours do. I put in some Superfeet insoles, like everyone recommended, and they hurt even more. Next I tried power step insoles... Bingo! Perfect fit!!

Worth a shot.

Tom

kcm2

WKR
Lathrop and Sons are an offshoot from a podiatrist's office. By all means, speak to them and get this fixed. You won't care about the cost of another pair of boots compared to foot pain hunting.

UncleBone

WKR
I know this is an older thread, but I would like to hear back from everyone who has had issues with footpain wearing kenetreks and schnees to respond with what size boot they wear. It seems as though there is a major issue with the mountain extremes in size 11.5 or larger, maybe just 12 and up. They did not lower the lacing hardware on the toebox on the larger sizes than the smaller, creating a creasing issue under the hardware that puts pressure on the top of your foot. its not enough to cause pain or problems itself, but put some miles on and boom, feet are on fire. I even noticed it on the brand new pairs of kenetreks I saw at scheels today. Was almost an inch extra of toebox on the 12 vs 10.5 with the hardware in the same spot. Even had the employees scratching their heads.

Tx270WT

FNG
Mine are in a box and put up for the season and I don’t remember if they were 11 or 11.5 but the break in is for real. I added a pair of sheep feet and was still almost ready to give up around the 40-50 mile mark and then they just gelled. The week before I was cussing those boots and then like magic they just started to melt and are now one of my favorites. Wish it didn’t taken so long because before 50 miles they realistically just sucked.

UncleBone

WKR
mine have 200 miles or so on them from last august. but you know, oddly enough I had no issues with break in at all. Granted, 90% of it was done antelope hunting and Im a trooper on my feet, probably from walking miles barefoot as a younger man and wearing the cheapest shoes we could afford when I wore them. My buddy on the other hand had a HELL of a time breaking his in chasing speed goats. he wears a 10.5 thiugh and doesnt have the crease issue.

UncleBone

WKR
mine have 200 miles or so on them from last august, but you know, oddly enough I had no issues with break in at all. Granted, 90% of it was done antelope hunting and Im a trooper on my feet, probably from walking miles barefoot as a younger man and wearing the cheapest shoes we could afford when I wore them. My buddy on the other hand had a HELL of a time breaking his in chasing speed goats. he wears a 10.5 though and doesnt have the crease issue.

Tx270WT

FNG
I think that’s one of the hardest things with these types of shoes is it really comes down to whether or not the shoes fit yo. they’re all quality boots. I remember looking one time, a lot of these brands are actually made in the same town in Italy and in the same factory.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I bought a 2nd pair of Kenetrek's in 2021 that replaced a pair of mine from 2017. Same size and width as what I had purchased before. The arch area felt a lot different in the new pair - they were using a new, better in my opinion, insole in the 2021 vintage. Felt a little like I was walking on a golf ball at first.

Lace hardware has the same placement on my 2017 and 2021 boots. I'm wearing a size 13.

SM1

FNG
I was measured on the Brannock device in scheels at size 10.5 (same shoe size I had always wore) and got a pair of mountain extremes. Seemed to fit me fine in the store knowing they needed to be broke in and that kenetrek says they fit true to size.
I Immediately started getting heal blisters and figured it was just part of the deal. I tried moleskin and didn’t work, but finally found leukotape and that solved the blister problem. I worked through the 50 mile break in (on level ground for the most part) done on the boots so I figured I could ditch the leukotape. Wrong. Blisters came back on the next hike. I called kenetrek and we tried their other insoles, but it didn’t help.
Ended up remeasuring my feet with their online chart that you can print off the website and said I needed to downsize to 10. I tried on a 10 and it felt tight, but then tried the 10 wide and it was perfect despite me never having wore a wide before. Scheels exchanged them no problem so that was nice.
I went through another 50 miles on the new 10 wide’s without any blisters or need for leukotape. I got about 200 miles on them now and my kenetreks are very comfortable.

I also had a pair of lacrosse rubber knee high boots 20yrs ago that I bought 1/2 size too small to fit snug for walking in slough edges/mud so they wouldn’t pull off my foot easy. Worked great then, but if I wear them now I get pain at the ball of my foot relating to my big toe. Problem is they are just too small now.

So another thing to consider is trying a different size boot, even though it may not seem like the solution. It ended up working for me.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I have the “crease issue” with my size 11wide Beartooths. 15 or so miles on them. When I put them on they feel great. Once I start walking the crease crushes the tops of my toes. Ready to give up on them as I don’t see any solution to the problem. Expensive mistake. Definitely will order the boot covers suggested for the next pair I get.