Truck Buying Help

Yes another which truck thread.

I’m probably getting rid of my 2010 Tundra. Can’t afford the new ones and not sure I want to spend $40k on a 2018 with 45,000 miles, which is currently the best deal I can find, and get another truck that’s kind of dated and gas hog.

I can’t get an F-150 because they’re too tall for my garage. I’m not interested in Nissan or Dodge.

That leaves GMC/Chevy. The two best deals I can currently find are a certified 2019 Sierra SLT 5.3 8-speed for $40k with a 6 year, 100k power train and 12 month 36k bumper to bumper warranty or a 2023 Silverado Custom with the 2.7 Turbo 4 cylinder for like $40-41. Both are crew cabs and 4x4.

I keep vehicles for about ten years and average 10-11k miles per year. I almost never tow stuff, and if I do, it’s under 5,000 pounds.

So let me have it. Really looking for opinions between the two GM options vs trying to convince me to stick with a Tundra.

RS3579

WKR
If you buy a certified Toyota you get a 100,000 mile power train warranty and a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty also. Just like the certified GMC/Chevy. My vote is Toyota, reliability out weighs the gas mileage for me personally.

OP
G
If you buy a certified Toyota you get a 100,000 mile power train warranty and a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty also. Just like the certified GMC/Chevy. My vote is Toyota, reliability out weighs the gas mileage for me personally.
Yes, but the one noted above is not certified. I’d need to price those but I’m guessing that is mid to high 40s for similar mileage and age.

OP
G
My tundra has 127k miles and has needed front differential, axle seal, e-brake, and ball joint replaced and has bed rust so it’s not a beacon of reliability to me anymore.

Don’t mean for that to sound snappy. Just typing fast in a loud restaurant.

hunterjmj

WKR
My tundra has 127k miles and has needed front differential, axle seal, e-brake, and ball joint replaced and has bed rust so it’s not a beacon of reliability to me anymore.

I'm a buy them at 100,000 and drive them to 300,000 type. I do enjoy fixing stuff and no payments. I'd go with the Chevy it I were you.

CorbLand

WKR

Do you know what caused the dif, axle seal and ebrake to go out?

Ball joints are a wear item. At 127K, you should be knocking on the door of set number 2.

What is causing the bed to rust?

Unless you got a complete lemon, which is a possibility, that tundra should get another 70k before anything major.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe folks tend to stay with what works. With trucks if you have had a particular brand and it has been good I see no reason to stray. I value reliability above all else-way above.

My 2005 Tundra has 342K and has had 1 torque converter and 1 radiator replaced-that's it along with good routine maintenance. I bought it new in Sept of 2005.

I just bought a new 4Runner but still drive the Tundra daily and have 100% confidence it the truck. I've had 2 prior Toyota trucks and my total mileage for al trucks combined is around 715K with no issues except the afore mentioned.

If you truly need/want to get a different truck I would be on the lookout for a new(ish) Tundra or even a Tacoma. It might require patience but decent deals do come along.

I can't see driving anything else based on my personal experience and my friends experience's that don't drive Toyotas.

Nwihunter

FNG
I drive an 03 silverado and plan on keeping for a few more years before I’m looking to upgrade. I was talking with a buddy of mine that is a 35 year mechanic at our local Chevy dealership about replacing my truck. He says he wouldn’t buy any of the newer GM trucks. He says the 2015 - 18 were solid years though for what it’s worth.

dtrkyman

WKR
I would think for a couple grand you can get your Tundra dialed in.

Otherwise the GM is a toss up between the two I would say.

Sherman

WKR
Bought an 03 2500 6.0 Vortec for $2500. Now has over 360k miles and running strong. No payments. Stacking cash. Get a well maintained Vortec, they last forever. 2003 transmissions are bulletproof.

OP
G
Do you know what caused the dif, axle seal and ebrake to go out?

Ball joints are a wear item. At 127K, you should be knocking on the door of set number 2.

What is causing the bed to rust?

Unless you got a complete lemon, which is a possibility, that tundra should get another 70k before anything major.
The rust issue is very common and documented through at least 2014 and I’ve seen some 2015s as well. I can’t find any clear info on whether or not Toyota fixed the problem in later years or if the need trucks just aren’t old enough to have started rusting in significant enough numbers to show up on forums.

Yes another which truck thread.

I’m probably getting rid of my 2010 Tundra. Can’t afford the new ones and not sure I want to spend $40k on a 2018 with 45,000 miles, which is currently the best deal I can find, and get another truck that’s kind of dated and gas hog.

I can’t get an F-150 because they’re too tall for my garage. I’m not interested in Nissan or Dodge.

That leaves GMC/Chevy. The two best deals I can currently find are a certified 2019 Sierra SLT 5.3 8-speed for $40k with a 6 year, 100k power train and 12 month 36k bumper to bumper warranty or a 2023 Silverado Custom with the 2.7 Turbo 4 cylinder for like $40-41. Both are crew cabs and 4x4.

I keep vehicles for about ten years and average 10-11k miles per year. I almost never tow stuff, and if I do, it’s under 5,000 pounds.

So let me have it. Really looking for opinions between the two GM options vs trying to convince me to stick with a Tundra.
Nothing wrong with the 5.3! I currently drive a '13 Silverado with a 4.8L V8. Phenomenal truck. 4WD and is great if you don't tow often but has the capability if necessary