Truck Buying Help

Does the overheating and durable matter when not in four wheel drive? I probably use 4hi for 20-50 miles per year and any “extended use” is winter driving. I have never used 4lo other than testing to make sure it still works or before/after changing differential fluid.

Still feels kind of strange it’s not standard anymore. I just looked and even LTs don’t have it.
In your situation you should be totally fine. I think your use is probably like 95% of people who own a 4wd and thats why gm decide to go that route and save money.

From the way I've gathered is the overheating can occur in the transfer case and mostly the brakes when using the terrain control feature that mimics 4lo after hard and extended use, which then starts the durability issues.

It does feel strange that most trims don't offer it standard but I guess it's saving gm enough money to not need another bailout...yet hahaha

In your situation you should be totally fine. I think your use is probably like 95% of people who own a 4wd and thats why gm decide to go that route and save money.

From the way I've gathered is the overheating can occur in the transfer case and mostly the brakes when using the terrain control feature that mimics 4lo after hard and extended use, which then starts the durability issues.

It does feel strange that most trims don't offer it standard but I guess it's saving gm enough money to not need another bailout...yet hahaha
It's the same as Toyota uses in their cars.
The first time I had my Rav4 in snow and ice, you could smell the clutches and brakes.
It became evident that Toyota had under-engineered another vehicle.
To it's credit, it's automatic, it can mimic a Torsen center diff, and torque vectoring.
What it's not is 4WD.

OP
G
It's the same as Toyota uses in their cars.
The first time I had my Rav4 in snow and ice, you could smell the clutches and brakes.
It became evident that Toyota had under-engineered another vehicle.
To it's credit, it's automatic, it can mimic a Torsen center diff, and torque vectoring.
What it's not is 4WD.
You were using one of the “settings” correct, not just regular 4hi?

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I can't remember the last time I needed 4 low with an automatic transmission. It's way more necessary with a manual. Nobody sells manual transmission trucks any more. It makes sense that 4 low is next on the chopping block.

I can't remember the last time I needed 4 low with an automatic transmission. It's way more necessary with a manual. Nobody sells manual transmission trucks any more. It makes sense that 4 low is next on the chopping block.
So you're saying riding the torque converter is a better option???
In another thread, I and other members were discussing how our Tacomas with a 6sp manual would not reverse up any sort of incline without frying the clutch unless you used 4lo....Let alone trying it with a trailer.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't even realize you could still buy a Tacoma with a manual. Sounds like we agree that low range is helpful with a manual.

What is your concern with "riding the torque converter" to get the truck moving?

I had a 1970 Bronco with a manual throttle. In 4-low (manual transmission) it was amazing how it slowly walked up steep, rocky slopes.

CJohnson

WKR
Someone somewhere at sometime said something about you either make payments or you buy parts/pay a mechanic.

I'll second any Ford truck with the STX package. I bought a '22 F-250 after someone on here walked me through how to build one out on the ford website. I paid around $48-49k after taxes and all and I think Ford's financing was around 2%. That being said, it also makes me money 5 days a week. If I was buying a vehicle to carry kids and groceries around, I would have probably gone a different route.