Truck Topper for camping

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Would like to see mods/kits for making the topper into sleep quarters with storage ect.
Considering adding this option to current hunting rig.
2500HD 6'5" bed

R

I have a bed-height toolbox in front, with 1/2 inch plywood and a 4" memory foam mattress and household sheets/pillow and blankets/spread on top. Keep all my truck stuff/tirechains, guns, optics and electronics locked in the box till needed. Good thing I'm short enough to sleep cross-bed...
Cooler, buddy heater, 5 gal water cooler, weber grill, single burner coleman and a bucket toilet down the right side. Helinox chair one for sitting in, gets tossed on the bed when traveling. Locking topper with a locking toolbox makes it tougher on thieves.....
IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

Last edited:
OP
R

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bed-height toolbox in front, with 1/2 inch plywood and a 4" memory foam mattress and household sheets/pillow and blankets/spread on top. Keep all my truck stuff/tirechains, guns, optics and electronics locked in the box till needed. Good thing I'm short enough to sleep cross-bed...
Cooler, buddy heater, 5 gal water cooler, weber grill, single burner coleman and a bucket toilet down the right side. Helinox chair one for sitting in, gets tossed on the bed when traveling. Locking topper with a locking toolbox makes it tougher on thieves.....
IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG
Similar ideas what I'd like to build.
Going to set up for me and wife.
Anything as far as insulation/curtains in particular you like or have adjusted since the original set up?

R

Nope, still using the same rigid shipping foam and cardboard for 'curtains' for years. I like to hold them down from the top of the window about an inch and a half. Allows you to look out over the top to see what's going on outside while nobody can see in. The white foam serves a dual purpose, as not only a curtain, but as insulation keeping condensation on the glass side. No getting wet if you should brush up against it. You can kinda see the cardboard/extra foam for the front and back windows stored to the sides. I only cover front and back glass if I have to overnight in a parking lot or rest area. Crude and ugly but works awesome.....

Another thing I might add. A roll-a-cot still fits between the toolbox and tailgate in a 8' bed truck, if you need to sleep somebody else under your cover at a match or hunt. Gets pretty full with all that stuff on the other side, tho...

IMG_5698.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG
Cool set up

schmalzy

WKR
I have a 2500hd and very happy with it. Framed out a sleeping platform. Want to find a more permanent light solution but these string lights worked great. I use a big Milwaukee pack out to store miscellaneous gear and serves as a great “night stand”. Behind my pack I have a buddy heater mounted and it keeps it toasty. I don’t sleep with it but have a CO detector just in case. Under the platform is storage for fishing rods, trekking poles, a rifle etc.

If you solo camp by the truck it’s pretty tough to beat. I use an exped megamat and slept fantastic. Took it down to zero or so with 6-8” of snow.

4a5380cd78095cb3bdd5d3e28b35f6b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you had to improve the "seal" at/around the tailgate to keep the dust out?
Is this even a problem that needs addressing?

Anyone with solar on the topper?
Any mods to help with the middle of the night piss break?

R

Have any of you had to improve the "seal" at/around the tailgate to keep the dust out?

R
I’ve put tubing (like a door seal) along the sides and bottom of the tailgate and it does help.

Ucsdryder

WKR

R
Yep. Get a kit off Amazon. Night and day difference.

S.Clancy

WKR
I just put a cot in mine. I'm thinking of building a half platform just to utilize the area taken up by the dang wheel wells.

R

Things I did to minimize the dust in mine:

1. Install the Amazon kit mentioned above. This includes the bottom of tailgate to bed and up both sides of the bed.
2. Silicone the joint where the bottom of the bed meets the sides all the way around the perimeter of the bed.
3. Zip tape over any holes or openings in the side of the bed. (I have a F150 that had a couple factory punched holes in the side of the bed)
4. Install rubber seal between the bottom of the camper shell and the top of the truck bed rail.

Doing these cut out probably 95% of dust getting in. I still get a very small amount from cracks around the door on the camper shell but it's very minimal.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Things I did to minimize the dust in mine:

1. Install the Amazon kit mentioned above. This includes the bottom of tailgate to bed and up both sides of the bed.
2. Silicone the joint where the bottom of the bed meets the sides all the way around the perimeter of the bed.
3. Zip tape over any holes or openings in the side of the bed. (I have a F150 that had a couple factory punched holes in the side of the bed)
4. Install rubber seal between the bottom of the camper shell and the top of the truck bed rail.

Doing these cut out probably 95% of dust getting in. I still get a very small amount from cracks around the door on the camper shell but it's very minimal.
If you’re still getting dust and it bothers you, get someone inside of the bed with a flashlight and start shining it in all the cracks. Anywhere that light escapes (while you’re standing outside), plug gaps.

Trees91

WKR
I just have a shelf built in mine. I'd like to do a raised sleeping platform on one side. Have a little flip up lid infront of the wheel well for storage and maybe a small sliding drawer behind the wheel well.maybe someday I'll get around to it....
IMG_2109.jpeg