Truck Topper for camping

OP
R

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Think I've located a Topper, will try to update with our version soon.

R

joe22657

FNG
Anyone have one or thoughts on a shell/Rtt combo such as go fast camper? Other than price any negatives?

Whitty

FNG
I built drawers for my truck bed for storage and sleep on top...few tips below.
Bought the 5% limo tint DIY kit from Walmart and tinted both sides so they are basically completely black. First time tinting and it was so easy I ended up tinting the windows on my garage door lol.
Get some sponges and use them to cut/smash/fit into any opening you can find to keep dust out...especially if you have the stake holes under the bed rail or drain holes near the cab wall. Seal kit noted previously helps a ton.
If you are worried about being secure while sleeping inside, a pair of vise grips can be clamped on the metal bar thingy to prevent it from being opened from the outside. Hard to explain but if you get inside and close the back window, it will make sense where to clamp the vise grips to keep the opener from moving.
If your topper is carpeted, velcro tape is great to be able to put random things where you need them. I did this with some green battery operated string lights. My previous topper wasn't carpeted so I epoxied washers to the inside of the topper corners and bought the cheap harbor freight lights with a magnet on the back that would then stick to the ceiling.

*zap*

WKR
I am thinking of getting a retired ambulance for a camper....E350 with a 7.3 powerstroke. They are 5'8"-5'10" height......for 6' or 74" you need to get a 450 or bigger. I am thinking there would be lots better fuel economy with the smaller box on a 350 dually. There are a few F350 and some of those are 4x4. I hope it works out well.

In the end I always end up just sleeping in the cab. I never want to empty out all the gear in the bed of the truck. Id be interested if anyone has used the systems that pop up a tent on the top of the cap. They seem really expensive and so far everyone recommending them seems to be getting pair to do so.

I have a F150 with a 5-1/2 ft bed and a cab height camper shell. Since I'm 6' tall the only way I can sleep comfortably is diagonally, which means I have to have a platform above the wheel wells to get a flat sleeping surface. I have the Decked drawer system in mine and it's a very comfortable sleep with a good mat. The downside is I lose the head clearance to sit up comfortably. My next truck will have a 6-1/2 ft bed and a mid-rise shell.

If you want to see a ton of camper shell sleeping arrangements, there's a page on IG called Truckbed Living that will show you lots of different options and ideas.

I have a F150 with a 5-1/2 ft bed and a cab height camper shell. Since I'm 6' tall the only way I can sleep comfortably is diagonally, which means I have to have a platform above the wheel wells to get a flat sleeping surface. I have the Decked drawer system in mine and it's a very comfortable sleep with a good mat. The downside is I lose the head clearance to sit up comfortably. My next truck will have a 6-1/2 ft bed and a mid-rise shell.

If you want to see a ton of camper shell sleeping arrangements, there's a page on IG called Truckbed Living that will show you lots of different options and ideas.
I have a 6.5’ F150 with a cab height canopy.
I found mounts that fit the bed link attachment points that will accommodate 2x4s and fitted blocks and rails down the sides of the bed. This supports 3/4” plywood covered with outdoor carpeting. I use a camping pad and sleeping bag on the platform and have 18” of clearance for the entire bed underneath which fits my cooler and those yellow and black storage bins for gear.
When I ordered myLeer canopy, I spec’d the option to have The lock wired into the Ford keyfob and can lock/unlock the canopy from inside.
You just have to be able to slither in the canopy with the tailgate up which can be interesting depending on your age and body shape.

Elwingmd

FNG
I have a 6.5’ F150 with a cab height canopy.
I found mounts that fit the bed link attachment points that will accommodate 2x4s and fitted blocks and rails down the sides of the bed. This supports 3/4” plywood covered with outdoor carpeting. I use a camping pad and sleeping bag on the platform and have 18” of clearance for the entire bed underneath which fits my cooler and those yellow and black storage bins for gear.
When I ordered myLeer canopy, I spec’d the option to have The lock wired into the Ford keyfob and can lock/unlock the canopy from inside.
You just have to be able to slither in the canopy with the tailgate up which can be interesting depending on your age and body shape.
I have been looking recently for F150s with the long bed and only have a couple that pop up and they dont have the specs I am looking for either. It makes my decision for an F250 even harder since those have the 6 3/4 bed as standard. Only issue then is mpg as a daily driver.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I replaced my 13 f150 with a tundra, simply because Toyota dealers have double cabs with 6.5’s on dealer lots. I didn’t feel like special ordering from Ford or Chevy

TSAMP

WKR
I have been looking recently for F150s with the long bed and only have a couple that pop up and they dont have the specs I am looking for either. It makes my decision for an F250 even harder since those have the 6 3/4 bed as standard. Only issue then is mpg as a daily driver.
And the ride. I test drove both last weekend and the 250 sure rides stiff. On paper I was convinced the 250 made more sense but since driving I am going to hold out for the f150 with the long box.

I picked up a 6.5ft bed F-150 and put a Leer mid high cap on it. I’m 5’ 11” and fit in fine. My mattress/pad is Therm A Rest MondoKing 3D. 72” and it just fits when the tailgate closes due to how my bed frame is constructed. I can sit on the bed frame with mattress inflated and only need to duck my head a little to clear the ceiling. I wanted to leave room under the frame for decent size storage bins.

One thing I consider essential on the cap is sliding side access windows. Pricey but they add value. Sliding so you can vent moister and get some air at night. Side access so you can get to items in the front of the bed without unpacking the back.

IMG_2085.jpeg
IMG_2090.jpeg
IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2092.jpeg

Truck is a PowerBoost with the 7.2kW onboard generator. Access to electricity no matter where I’m at is pretty nice to have. Nearly 22mpg, even after adding the cap, if I drive a little conservatively.

Last edited: