Truck Topper to buy or not to buy

matthewmt

WKR
There are also raised toppers too specifically for four ATVs etc. My old Tacoma had that style.
For general use I think they are a benefit. Two guys can easily lift it off and set it on some horses until needed again.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

To remove a topper? If so, how do you store it and lift it off with one person. Thanks for answering my dumb questions. I haven’t owned a topper before, only a tonneau.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two person job, but my wife helps me. Just set it on the ground. You could rig a hoist easy. I bet my topper isn’t 150lbs

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not sure if they make them for your particular vehicle, but I purchased a soft topper for my Tacoma- keeps whatever I'm hauling out of the weather and serves as a makeshift camp

the beauty of a soft topper is that it folds up and completely out of the way if you need to haul something large/tall

dOIPlYA.jpg

Takem

WKR
I'll be buying a new truck this year and I'll be taking it straight in to get the topper. I've been using my current truck for hunting and work so I've had tool box and rack instead of the topper. Keeping the gear safe and out of the elements is enough of a reason to have it for me.

handwerk

WKR
I've had toppers on my trucks for over 30 years, like others have stated protecting gear, a good rack for hauling work stuff/canoe/kayak and most of all it serves as a place to crash on a road trip or being my base camp for all sorts of adventures.

chindits

WKR
I had a topper on my Toyo but when I went to a 250 I never had a topper and don't miss it. I have wood racks and that's all I need. I don't drive across the country and have to sleep in the back of a pickup anymore. My gear is outdoor gear and weather doesn't effect it. I load firewood to roof height every spring and a topper is a PITA for wood hauling. I have a dirt bike and an ATV I hardly use, but they load right up without a topper. I live in rural CO and I can't think of one reason to have a topper since I don't sleep in a truck bed or store work tools in the back of a truck.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still not sure what to do. I found a topper locally that I “think” will fit. I just need to double check. I am just not sure if it will hinder what I haul. I haul a lot of plywood, 2xs for my wife’s business and I don’t want to inhibit that. The topper I am looking at has some damage on the upper left part of the window. From the pictures it looks like the rubber seal is coming off. Anyone have first hand knowledge on this or should I stay away from it? They are asking $400 if that makes a difference.

Murdy

WKR
To remove a topper? If so, how do you store it and lift it off with one person. Thanks for answering my dumb questions. I haven’t owned a topper before, only a tonneau.

My Grandfather had a system he set up. He dug 4 fence posts into the ground so you could pull between them, made a makeshift bracket on top that would hold a 2x4 in place, would crawl up in the box, lift one end of the topper (placing it on his shoulders if I remember), slide a 2x4 into place, then do the other end, and pull the truck out. Worked pretty slick, and this was with a 1960s topper that was probably a lot heavier than today's fiberglass ones.

If your topper has lights, might take more than 4 bolts to remove, as you have to disconnect the wiring. If you get it set up like that, make sure you have access to somewhere you want to disconnect. My current setup has all the wiring hidden, so it would probably be an adventure getting to it.

Hello,

FNG here. I hate to dig up an old topic but I don't want to start a new thread. I bought a truck from my dad that had been my grandfather's when he passed away. My dad put a cap/topper on the truck that I just don't need. It's been harder to figurer out what this thing is worth, or at least what I could actually sell it for, that what I thought it would be. Can anyone here give me some advice?

It's an 8' aluminum Biggie. Only issues are a weather stripping around one window that's loose along with the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• ShellTop.jpeg
    ShellTop.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 43
  • ShellTop2.jpeg
    ShellTop2.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 43

4and1

FNG
I'll add my two cents worth. I bought a used LEER for a new Chevy in 2002. I still have the truck and topper. Both are still in great shape considering their age.

In 2005 I bought a new Dodge full size truck, and bought a new ARE topper for it. I still have both the truck and topper. All the plastic trim around the windows on the ARE have fallen off. Some plastic trim on the inside around the windows have fallen down. The plastic trim at the bottom of the rear glass that laps over the tailgate broke off on the corner. Now I had reached up and pulled down on the window while walking by, maybe I pulled too hard on the edge. Maybe.

To be fair, the LEER has no bells and whistles, where the ARE has "carpeted" inside. But the carpeting is fine, it's all the trim on the ARE that fell off.

wyosteve

WKR
My .02--it's in very good shape, but being aluminum, it's worth less than a molded topper. The other potential issue is being from an older truck, it may no longer fit the newer models. My thought would be it's worth about $200 to the right person if it fits their truck.

Mackdog

FNG
Hauling/stacking wood under a topper while possible is a real pain. Crawling around stacking wood takes forever. I leave my topper on year round for dry safe storage and a great place for dog kennels. Use a trailer for wood/atv.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
Mine comes off in the spring and on in the fall. The dogs ride in back with a top and in kennels. Small trailer for ATV if needed during fall/winter although I really only use it for plowing and not hunting.
I pretty much do the same exact thing

hotsoup

FNG
I have read a couple threads about truck toppers and it made me start thinking. We recently just sold our camper and now I am thinking I need to have a truck topper so I can still do some non-backcountry camping. My dilemma is, is this a want or is this a need? I have a Cimmaron I use for backcountry but I am not sure how it will fair out using as a truck camp. What are the benefits of the topper? For those that have them, how do you haul a four wheeler if you choose to take one? How do you haul wood, etc. ? It has been hard for me to justify a topper when I bought the truck for the bed and not an SUV. Any advice, tips or criticism.

Thanks,

Wyobowhunter

I buy a new pickup every 5 to 6 years, and within the first week of ownership i order a camper shell, usually a Leer. I travel to either Colorado, Wyoming, or New Mexico every year for elk. Although I take a tent, I have done several hunts where I slept in the bed of the truck. While it is doable, I much prefer the tent. No way could I get a 4wheeler in the bed of the truck with the camper top on. I have a 4wheeler trailer but never take one out west as I hunt areas where no motorized vehicles are allowed. The op will need a trailer if his topper is cab top level like mine. As for hauling wood, I take my topper off once I return from my trip out west, so hauling wood or anything else is a non issue. Toppers provide a degree of security when traveling, although not a lot.