Trying a new Idaho location

Eppic77

FNG
Hey guys! I am hoping for some advice here. I checked out Idaho PanHandle last year, it was mostly watching dudes racing around on quads in any of the locations I ended up at, mostly because I didn't know where to even start, apparently I ended up where everyone else goes though because... I saw a lot of people.
I am looking at a few different locations, in no particular order:
Option 1.
Unit 20A seems to have solid numbers, but from what I have read it is heavily leaning towards outfitters pumping those numbers up. Can someone have a base camp and do a spot and stalk version of hunting in this unit, or is it mainly horses and mules like the Selway units... I am looking at the B tag which allows me to use any weapon, so I can use my modern firearm on this hunt.
Option 2.
Unit 30A - The A tag is archery only for Bull only. I have been told by a few people that it is a draw hunt, but according to the regulations it is a general hunt tag and when I go into the online market to purchase a tag it is available. It seems this might be a good tag to get, the only downfall is my disability from the military makes Archery a harder choice for me, doable YES, but not as attractive as using my rifle. What do you guys think about this unit, and do you have suggestions for camping?
Option 3.
Selway Unit, but this is rough, and will probably kill me...

Do you have a suggestion? A different unit, Which tag and why? My disability doesn't really limit me much on hiking, but due to my sleep apnea, I have to use a main camp to recharge batteries on my CPAP machine. (yeah TBI from the military!)

I know this is my first post, and people might not want to help out too much, but if I don't ask, I will get NO help at all. Thanks to those of you who will reach out, and I hope to start chatting with some of you soon! Happy New Year!

20a and 30a are both very steep. 20a is almost all wilderness. Keep researching different units is my recommendation if you have a disability. Thanks for your service.

OP
E

Eppic77

FNG
Thanks Beaver. Steep like unit 1, or steeper? I did some exploring up there last season, and did a little hunting in Unit 5. So far everything looks steep LOL. I can hike it, my disability mostly effects my sleep and I get migraines so I just need to have my meds with me for that, Cant give in or up, its not in me!
What do you think of 21A?

Thanks for your service. You won’t find any helpful unit suggestions here. Too many guys asking these days. However, Idaho guys will help you know that Selway and Middle Fork Zones don’t have a lot of elk and each is huge country that is very rugged. It’s a terrible idea for a nonresident trying to get an elk unless they love wilderness and want to hike a ton of miles to find and pack out a bull. Resident horse packers and outfitters shoot most of the bulls. Nonresident success rates are low.

The other places in Idaho at least will have decent elk numbers and you’ve got a better fighting chance. Archery gives you a lot more unit options and usually less pressure overall.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your service. Unit 1 has some dandy bulls but numbers are not great and plenty of places where you will see no machines of any kind and only a few hunters who want to work hard but it does take time to find the elk. Good luck my uncle now deceased killed a few dandies in unit one some incredible mass and many carry nontypical points he often felt the pain for many days where he ventured he was one of my mentors👍And a crazy north Idaho killer from the 80s173E8E7E-F8A3-4B86-A51A-019985E5525F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. Unit 1 has some dandy bulls but numbers are not great and plenty of places where you will see no machines of any kind and only a few hunters who want to work hard but it does take time to find the elk. Good luck

Ross finds a bunch of elk each year but he’s put in the time and continues to.

And if you want to actually see the elk you shoot, head south. Haha I would find it very difficult in the jungle.

Speaking seriously be careful to resist the urge to head to greener pastures each year.

OP
E

Eppic77

FNG
I found a few nice areas up north, steep as hell and nobody around, thought i was going to get snowed in at one point lol. I just have to put the time in and keep my nose down. Archery seems to be the best bet. I will keep kicking around, Beaverhead seems interesting to at least look at, I will try to get into Diamond next year (which just means being ready to to get my license and tag in December). I will keep talking to the biologists and kicking things around, living in WA I have plenty of time to come camp and scout areas out, just trying to narrow it down some and get a tag in a spot before it runs out, i might just get a tag then i can always transfer it to the Panhandle if nothing seems better.

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, as far as I can tell, Unit 1 is a kick in the nuts. I live here and know more people who live here and hunt other units than I do who live here and hunt here.

OP
E

Eppic77

FNG
lol, yeah it was steep as hell, and i had no idea where to even start, but it was some beautiful country. I saw tracks, found animals but they were all on private property, I would need to spend a bunch of time learning it if I am going to give it a go.