Turkey Decoy Hauling

Bulldawg

WKR
I run a couple avians when I hunt and I don’t particularly like the bags they come with mostly because the straps always seem to break off because they seem too short. Anyone got some advice for carrying these large decoys while hunting?

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Tenzing 1250 lumbar pack a few years ago for a moose hunt. Turns out that it makes a great turkey vest/decoy hauler too! I normally carry 3 DSDs - a jake, submissive hen, and look out hen. I can strap 2 down on top of the main comparment and 1 underneath. I've been doing it this way for 5 years and have yet to find a better pack or vest for carrying my decoys.

Darren

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my 3 Avian decoys in a cheap mesh duck decoy bag that I can throw on the shoulder. I’m not a big fan of vests so I throw a seat pad in there too.

fatlander

WKR
I bow hunt turkeys so I’m usually in a blind. For the money, the blind hog bag is the cats ass. I carry 3 avian hens and one dsd jake, two chairs and my blind perfectly.

Outside the blind I just carry my dsd jake. They make a much better bag than the avians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time if I'm using a decoy, it's one half-strut Jake. I either use a smaller mesh duck decoy bag or I slide it into my backpack. I don't run a lid on my pack usually so I just open the snow collar and leave the compression straps fairly loose.

I really only use the decoy if I'm bowhunting or waiting them out. If I'm carrying the shotgun, I'm usually moving too much to mess with the decoy.

Jimss

WKR
I use the same Kifaru EMR pack that I use elk hunting. Lots of room for decoys, other gear, attachment of shotgun when not hunting, plus 1 or 2 toms. I've hauled quite a few toms plus gear out several miles without a problem! It's always nice having more room than needed than not enough!

howl

WKR
Yeah, leave 'em in the store. Once you have killed a few without dekes you will wonder why you bothered.

BDT60x

FNG
Been using my Kifaru reckoning the last couple years. I can load 3 full size decoys in it. I typically hunt public land which requires a fair amount of hiking to get away from hunting pressure.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Mesh laundry bags work great. Using the cheap safety harnesses that come with every treestand work fantastic for carrying your blind. Wear the shoulder straps use the leg straps to carry the blind just below your but. Doesn’t interfere with your vest/decoy bag over your shoulder

isu22andy

WKR
I bow hunt turkeys so I’m usually in a blind. For the money, the blind hog bag is the cats ass. I carry 3 avian hens and one dsd jake, two chairs and my blind perfectly.

Outside the blind I just carry my dsd jake. They make a much better bag than the avians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you dont have the blind hog but have a pack they work great too. I use a badlands 2200 and can fit my blind , chair, and 2 decoys all to the pack and carry in my bow by hand. Makes a heck of a difference !