Twisted Barrel fluting review

Last summer, while waiting on my custom .284 Win barrel from X-Caliber, I saw that Midway USA had some Shaw 7mm-08 stainless barrels in stock for $249, along with the barrel nut wrench and go and no-go gauges. I figured what the heck. I had Shaw make me a 6.5 Grendel barrel a while back and it was a shooter, so I wasn't too worried about this one. The listing said "sporter" profile, but I've learned most barrel manufacturer's idea of "sporter" is really what most rifle companies would call a "heavy sporter." Sure enough, the 24" Shaw barrel was a fair bit heavier profile than the standard Savage sporter barrel. Enough that I needed to open up the barrel channel in the factory stock a bit.

I chopped it down to 20" and recrowned it (like I do with all my .308-case based rifles) and the damn thing shot lights-out. 1/2-3/4 MOA consistently at 300 yards with several different bullets. But it was still heavier than I wanted. The barrel alone was 2 lbs. 7 oz. and that brought my total Lightweight Storm rifle weight to 7 lbs. 1 oz. with the Talley rings and 6x38 Weaver scope (10 oz.).

So looking for someone to flute this barrel to shave weight, I came across Twisted Barrel. Never heard of them but I don't know much about custom rifles either. For $110 plus shipping for six straight flutes, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I shipped off the barrel with the order form in the package, gave it a few days and then emailed the owner just to ask how long I could expect to wait. To my surprise, he replied with a tracking number. The job was already done (in one day) and the barrel was on it's way back already! I couldn't believe it.

It arrived the other day, and I have to say the fluting is much deeper than I expected. I saw examples of this deep fluting on his website, but you can't get a real good idea of just how deep in pictures. These flutes are the deepest I've ever seen on any barrel. For that reason, he removed about 2x as much weight as I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing. What started out as a 2 lb. 8 oz. 20" barrel (0.60" at the muzzle) ended up as a 2.0 lb. barrel exactly. He had removed 8 ounces of material in just 14" of fluting! Wow.

That brought the weight of my finished rifle down to just 6 lbs. 9 oz. and it looks great. Took it to the range yesterday to re-zero and had it zero'd in three shots. Let it cool and fired another three at 300 yards and it was spot-on. Looks like the fluting didn't change a thing.

A carbon fiber wrapped Proof Research 20" barrel in .308 weighs 2 lbs. and costs about $900. I have $370 in this Shaw barrel now and have a barrel nut wrench and go and no-go gauges. I'm pretty happy about that.

If you're thinking of having a heavy barrel fluted to drop some weight, I think Twisted Barrel is worth a try. I'm happy with my result, and especially the price and turnaround.

I'll post a few pics when I get a chance.

BBob

WKR
LRI has their versions of deep fluting. Murder Hornet and Pattern X can dump a lot of weight. They do however charge a lot for it. ~$400

Pattern "X".

72419031_1271576986355047_5186331532867928064_n_large.jpg

The response we've had with this pattern is nothing short of astounding. We feel pretty confident we are the first to offer something like this. If there are others, we haven't seen it yet. The barrel shown had a full POUND of material removed from it. Finished, it weighed within 3 ounces of a Proof Research carbon barrel finished at 16". This barrel is 20".

Keep in mind
it has an extra inch of cylinder length. We can now approach the weight savings of carbon-wrapped barrels and were confident that heat dissipation exceeds because it is all one material.

We've performed this service to thousands of barrels using both the single point and button rifling methods of manufacturing. It's been demonstrated over and over again that our process has no detrimental effect on accuracy.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Here are some pics. Complete rifle with scope floats between 6 lbs. 9 oz. and 6 lbs. 10 oz. on my fish scale. With this fluted barrel, it balances really well.

Attachments

• IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    537 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Looking forward to the pictures. I have the exact same rifle.
I love these LW Storms. 3rd one I've owned and they have all shot incredibly well. I was afraid the Shaw barrel would be less accurate than the factory barrel but thankfully it's not.

My son has the second one I owned (in .308) with the factory barrel and he loves it. Does yours still wear the factory barrel?

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Oh, I forgot to mention that before I pulled the barrel to send it, I marked TDC on the barrel and then made a witness mark on the chamber face with a drill. They lined the flutes up perfectly with that witness mark so when I reinstalled the barrel, the top flute was at 12 O'clock and on either side where the barrel and stock meet, they were even. The last fluted barrel I had wasn't timed correctly and after a while it started to annoy me. They did a great job recognizing the marks ( I made mention of it on my order form ) and nailed the timing.

Reactions: NSI

RS3579

WKR
I love these LW Storms. 3rd one I've owned and they have all shot incredibly well. I was afraid the Shaw barrel would be less accurate than the factory barrel but thankfully it's not.

My son has the second one I owned (in .308) with the factory barrel and he loves it. Does yours still wear the factory barrel?
Yes it does. To accurate to change. Very very pleased.

SloppyJ

WKR
Thanks for posting. LRI's stuff looks great but I have a hard time letting go of that much coin for a fluting job.