Type S dies for dummies

So I decided to be one of the cool kids and try a bushing die for the first time. I've been using standard dies for a long time. But now I know the S stands for like I expected.

I've watched every YouTube movie and even found the owners manual online. I've since trashed about six pieces of brass.

Oh and now I guess the recapping stim of wrecked.

How the actual f bomb does this piece of work? Is this the right order of the turds to make the giant turf minus the fubar decapping pin?
I lift a shell up with the die backed out then screw the die in until it makes contact then add another half turn or whatever YouTube said. And I crush the shoulder. Do these just not work in a Dillion press? I know I'm retarted but frick!
ff694942859313822d9a7b380256c622.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S stands for Speedy. Hall of fame BR shooter. If you’re crushing the shoulder, maybe try backing the die out.

IMG_6486.jpeg

Last edited:
Never used a Dillon but I screw the type S die FL dies to depth to control shoulder bump the same as I do any other FL sizing die.

You really shouldn't be using a expander button with a bushing die anyway. Using the expander button with a bushing die kind of defeats the purpose of using a specific size bushing to get the exact neck tension you're trying to achieve. If the expander button is smaller then what your bushing is leaving for an inside neck diameter and never touches the neck on the down stroke I suppose it's ok to leave it on there but I always remove the expander button and replace it with the decapping pin retainer that generally comes with a Redding bushing type die.

If the decapping stem bottoms out on the inside of the case then you need to screw the stem up inside the threaded end further until it's no longer bottoming out inside the case.

Is this a FL bushing die or a bushing neck size only die? Regardless of which one it is if you're crushing the shoulder you need to back the die out more than just a little. Getting any kind of sizing die dialed in is always more than just a set it and forget kind of thing.

You really shouldn't be using a expander button with a bushing die anyway. Using the expander button with a bushing die kind of defeats the purpose of using a specific size bushing to get the exact neck tension you're trying to achieve.
Depends, some use bushing dies just to minimize over working of the necks. Makes sense to me to get uniform neck ID vs OD by expanding slightly in some manner after neck sizing. That said, I have loaded a whole bunch ammo with type s dies, no expander, with unturned necks but quality brass and had good results too.

Your bushing is directional - part number usually goes down. If the sharp edge side of the bushing is down the neck may be hanging up on it.

Back