"Typical" Brown Bear "Mauling" account. (Educational)

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.

I have been studying this for 60'ish years, have had hundreds of "Classic" encounters (Classic being, in my opinion, is when first awareness of bear potential problem when bear is five or ten yards of on top of you, to the first awareness being "Zero Awareness" till, you are experiencing being mauled).

This is quite often how fast it happens. I post this because, in my opinion the biggest flaw in most peoples thinking, is they will have "Time" to deploy any defense, be that canned bear spray, firearm, bowie knife, or large stick.

Kaleb W

FNG
So true. Just because you're armed to the teeth doesn't mean it will do you any good when a bear is instantly rag-dolling you.

Bighorse

WKR
I keep my pistol on my chest, concept being. In a defensive posture, balled up and being chewed, I have the weapon protected until the best opportunity presents. I often just motor through thick backcountry knowing that I'm venerable with my firearm stowed away. If a bear wants to ambush you, it will. My survival strategy isn't to stop the attack 100% but to at least have a chance to deploy my pistol and not die. Now there's the pre contact sequence, and that's a whole different discussion. At the end of the day, Its painfully obvious that a bear mauling is often unfortunate chaos. Good luck to all out there reading this and travelling into the deep wilderness or in this case, a field worker, just earning a paycheck.