Tyvek as a tent footprint

For anyone who has or currently uses Tyvek as a ground cover or tent footprint; how do you prevent the edges from shredding with usage?

Working in the trades I frequently have access to excess Tyvek home wrap and am considering making a footprint for my tent. Curious about other’s experiences with it. Pros and cons maybe?

Geewhiz

WKR
I would say just use it. When the edges fray or tear, its cheap enough to just chuck it and get a new piece. Or have someone hem the edges if you know someone with a sewing machine.

I don't even use a ground cloth for my tents. I just pitch them right out on the ground. Been doing it that way the past 60 years. Just one less thing to carry and keep track of.

Sammymusi

WKR
I used it for my spike set up for about 7 days in my floorless set up. It’s loud and slippery. I wish I could figure out a way to make it less crunchy and slippery but it did what it was supposed to do

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a fair amount of days using mine, zero issue with edges shredding. You have access to it I say make a few and keep em ready.

I made the mistake of bringing a brand new sheet out and it was incredibly loud. I threw it in the washer for a couple cycles and it softened right up.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Throw it in the washing machine once or twice to quiet it down. Definitely helps a little with the noise.

Washing machine until your desired quietness

I used seam sealer and painted 3 stripes across tyvek to help eliminate the “slip n slide”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it for my spike set up for about 7 days in my floorless set up. It’s loud and slippery. I wish I could figure out a way to make it less crunchy and slippery but it did what it was supposed to do

You could put little dots of seam sealer on your pad to add grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using the same piece for 2 years with a lot of abuse and it's just starting fray on the ends. I'll just toss it out and grab a new pice for this year! Definetly could run a strip of duct tape around the perimeter and fold it under if your worried about it!

MTHokie

FNG
I have used a Tyvek footprint under my 4-man tent for about 7-8 years. It is not fraying/tearing at the edges at all. But remember, you don't want the footprint sticking out from underneath your tent. It should be a couple inches shorter in each dimension. Helps keep water from ponding under your tent floor, but will also help keep the footprint edges from ripping.