Seek Outside vs KUIU Packs - A few seasons with both... by Luke Stephens

hunting1

Kuiu packs get a bad rap and if I break one my views might change. All my packs (Kifaru, MR, Kuiu) squeak. I use the Gun Bearer on all packs and the Kuiu has so many pockets not sure what one would need?

Great problem we have, so many options!

roosiebull

I've got first hand experience with both brands. SO is an Evolution. Kuiu was a first Gen. I was attracted to the light weight and load carrying capabilities. Kuiu was light and comfortable. I only packed game out once with the Kuiu but have put on many miles of training hikes including a 20 mile boyscout hike/camp weighted at 40+ lbs.
I believe my Evolution is the first generation of SO packs. I've also got miles of use on this pack and multiple animals.
My experience is that the SO carries loads much better. My training sandbag is about 60# and the Evolution handles that without problem. I was always afraid I would break the carbon fiber legs on the first gen Kuiu when I set the pack down while hauling the bag. They have since removed those legs (for lack of a better term) in subsequent designs. That brings me to the biggest problem with the Kuiu.
The OP didn't address durability of the packs. That is the biggest difference between the two. The Kuiu's light weight came at the expense of durability. Mine was falling apart before I had a year on it.

To their credit Kuiu replaced it with a Gen2. When I called to arrange the replacement, the lady at the other end of the phone said they were targeted toward guides, and intended to last for only a season of guiding. Not good for me.
My SO Evo has become my #1 pack, and while it's dirty, and it's developed a squeek that I have to trouble shoot, it's trucked along without significant problem. The only call I made to SeekOutside was to compliment them on the material lining their inner hipbelts. The inner lining is durable and grips well to hold the load up in place. Guy I spoke to said he helped design the pack and they were especially happy to have found that material.
i agree on durability of kuiu packs.... mine got shredded in short order, squeaked bad after a few months, and for myself, doesn't haul weight as well as the other high end haulers by a large margin. i ended up buying a new belt and suspension for it and decided to see it, and sold it for 200 bucks, and it took a couple weeks to move even at the "fast sale" price.

i have not put a ton of mileage on my SO peregrine yet, but it's very obvious it's a whole different category of durability (oh yeah, that kuiu ate load lifter straps like crazy!) the SO packs are solid built packs, a legit load hauler that is built tough.

i'm a pack junky, and my SO is gonna be my blacktail hunting pack, because it's wet here in oct/nov, and i'm between 3-7 miles from my rig when i kill a buck, so a waterproof pack that handles more weight than i will need to carry is a big asset. i love their accessories too, and once you dial it in, it's easy to use.

my 3 current packs are my SO peregrine, EXO 3500 k2, and a MR popup 18, love them all for their niche, all super tough.

i don't dislike kuiu, i own lots of their stuff and their raingear and gaiters are the best there is for your money, but i'm just not a fan of their packs.... i wanted to be, but they just don't hold up on the coast or haul heavy loads well at all on my back.

wildernessmaster, thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts/experiences, good read. i certainly am not discrediting your great write up/review.... just giving more feedback.

i agree with you, whatever pack you have and love, keep loving.... packs are very personal in fit and comfort..... they are all different for sure.

brsnow

I love my seek outside pack, I just picked up a SG evo 3300 as a back up. That being said my old kuiu ultra 1800 has packed out more elk than my current packs have.

wiiawiwb

I have a SO Revolution Fortress 6,300 and the absence of an entry point, other than from the top, is exactly why I wanted it. Where I am, it is wet and I wanted to limit the infiltration of water into the contents of the bag. The Fortress accomplishes that. Should I decide to add the option of easier access, all I need to do is get a Goshawk or Saker bag.

I do like the idea of being able to reconfigure lash points to my liking and for that particular outing. SO allows me to do that. Obviously, something with flexibility of use has a longer learning curve but it's worth it in the end.

Finally, I like the Flight series of packs and will be getting one in the near future. Kudos to SO for being so responsive to their users requests.

CoMtnMike

nice review. I bought a Lanner 1.5 years ago and I love it for backpacking and hunting. A few niggles with small things like the squeak (I tried body glide since I had it for my toes but only worked for a few days, I'll have to try a better wax) but overall it is awesome. Super comfortable as a daypack or carrying out more of an animal than I should in one go...

laclement

Thanks for the review. I’m also looking into a new pack. I was leaning towards exo but after reading a bit about SO packs I think I’ll go that way.