Ultimate ultralight early season and late season sleep setup?

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
What is the ultimate ultralight sleep setup for early season backcountry hunt?

What is the ultimate ultralight late season backcountry sleep setup?

Ounces matter, but so does comfort. Backpacking. Floorless. Stove for the late season. I do carry down pants and coat in late season as well.

Last edited:
OP
T

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
For late season I am looking at Exped downmat HL winter UL and a WM Antelope bag…. Not exactly ultralight, but not sure how I save ounces without getting cold (unless I wear puffy under a lighter bag or mat).

For early season I have a thermarest neo-air and might switch to a quilt. Open to recommendations. Do quilt users put some kind of liner between themselves and the mat?

Bearsears

WKR
I just got back from 2nd season in Colorado. We were in a SO Redcliff with stove. I used a Stone Glacier Chillkoot 15° and an Exped downmat hl winter mw. Ive never been more comfortable sleeping in the backcountry than I was on this trip. We had temps in the 20s and then low teens. Until the temps got well below freezing, I was downright hot in this sleeping bag. I figured at some point I'd need to add my puffy pants and jacket but that wasn't the case. The SG bag is rated correctly and im sure I could take it down below zero with layering easily.

OP
T

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
The SG Chilkoot is on my list to compare to the WM bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the neo air xtherm and a UGQ 0 degree quilt this year. Total weight is something like 47 oz. I haven’t taken it down that low but I’ve been below freezing in just my boxers and been too hot. I’m totally sold on quilt comfort also

For late season I am looking at Exped downmat HL winter UL and a WM Antelope bag…. Not exactly ultralight, but not sure how I save ounces without getting cold (unless I wear puffy under a lighter bag or mat).

For early season I have a thermarest neo-air and might switch to a quilt. Open to recommendations. Do quilt users put some kind of liner between themselves and the mat?
Quilt takes some getting used to but can be awesome. I've always loved my 20° quilt when sleeping in my hammock but have just recently learned to love it when on my winter sleeping pad. I do not use a liner or anything between me and my air mattress. I was looking at getting a zero degree bag for the rrally cold times but now that I've got the quilt dialed in I think I'll get a 0° quilt instead.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
T

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
Quilt takes some getting used to but can be awesome. I've always loved my 20° quilt when sleeping in my hammock but have just recently learned to love it when on my winter sleeping pad. I do not use a liner or anything between me and my air mattress. I was looking at getting a zero degree bag for the rrally cold times but now that I've got the quilt dialed in I think I'll get a 0° quilt instead.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

How low in temp are people taking quilts and sleeping comfortably? I’m looking to cut ounces but remain warm and comfortable.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ultra lite never truly works well if you actually want to stay warm when it’s below 10 degrees F.

My late season bag and pad is relatively heavy but actually keeps me warm. Don’t need to carry a tent unless rain or snow are in the mix. Tyvek sheet on the ground keeps me mobile and is an emergency tarp too.

How low in temp are people taking quilts and sleeping comfortably? I’m looking to cut ounces but remain warm and comfortable.

I've been down to about 26 degrees in my 20 degree quilt with a 10 degree underquilt in my hammock. I got a little chilly but still slept ok. I'm a cold sleeper so I was impressed that I stayed warm in temps that cold.

With my winter air mattress (etherlight xt extreme) I've slept down to 30 degrees quite comfortably in my 20 degree quilt.

sargent

WKR
I've slept cozy into the single digits with some clothing and a 0 degree quilt. I used a 1/8 inch foam pad under a neoair xlite and never woke up cold. That extra thermal break between the neoair and the cold ground really seems to help.

LA Hunter

FNG
I'm finding it interesting
Ounces matter, but so does comfort. Backpacking. Floorless. Stove for the late season. I do carry down pants and coat in late season as well.
I find it interesting that no one hunting late season has indicated the benefit of a stove with their tent. Perhaps the benefit of the right sleep system eliminates the need for this weight? Anyone packing their stoves on multiple trips?

Edit:

This is what I'm looking at right now for late-season, a larger area for a group hunt, ultralight, floorless, relatively inexpensive:

Maverick1

WKR
Early season archery elk:
  • 8X10 ultralight tarp (8-14 oz, depending on material)
  • 15 degree down bag (open zipper all the way if it's too warm)
  • Thermarest sleeping pad
  • Sometimes bring a TiGoat bivy if a lot of rain is forecasted. (6 oz. addition)

JeremiahH

WKR
My UL set up

Zpacks tarp around 5.5 oz
Borah bivy keeps my burrito together 6oz
Black diamond carbon trekking pole 5.5 oz
10* quilt i can't recall weight, 26 or 28 oz ?
Neo air all season mat ( I don't really use this one after October anymore)
Various stakes I quit weighing them

This hunt was early November 2019
690ff68e18b3256568c42bfb3b775e6a.jpg

Last edited:

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
My UL set up

Zpacks tarp around 5.5 oz
Borah bivy keeps my burrito together 6oz
Black diamond carbon trekking pole 5.5 oz
10* quilt i can't recall weight, 26 or 28 oz ?
Neo air all season mat ( I don't really use this one after October anymore)
Various stakes I quit weighing them

This hunt was early November 2019
690ff68e18b3256568c42bfb3b775e6a.jpg
Jeremiah, I like your setup and have run this same in good weather but have not had the courage to use when I know storms are coming. Have you run this in rain/snow? How did you manage?

I have several UL wt. sleep systems, but my absolute lightest, to include everything from pillow to pad and shelter to slippers weighs just under 40 oz. This doesn’t include puffy pants and jacket, which I always have and usually wear to sleep in. I’ve used this system down to the high 20’s/low 30’s and was plenty warm.
6bf37a9bcd8838c1590adc29035b103c.jpg

d26ed035c8a708b8af485d93eca87b4a.jpg

So that said, if I’m expecting a decent chance of cold or wet and windy weather, I much prefer a system that has full coverage, is more storm worthy, and I can be comfortable in down into the low teens. For an additional 22-48 oz., I’ll swap out the 40° quilt for a 20°, small X-lite pad for a regular X-therm, and solo shelter, for something that will fit two very comfortably.

e7c640bfc3309b1c064eec5a1dacbdf4.jpg

adc96751676e73b3180d6c9fae3e06d0.jpg

slick

WKR
Interesting replies. Seems like most are on the same page.
Early season:
Sea to Summit Comfort lite
30* EE Revelation Quilt Sewn Footbox
Borah Bivy
Sometimes a floorless anything from a Jimmy Tarps to a Cimarron

Late Season:
Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated
0* EE Revelation Quilt Wide/Reg Draw String Footbox
4season Big Sky International Chinook 2P
Or
Floorless + Stove: Redcliff/Tut/ Bear Paw Designs/ 4person tipi/Cimarron + LiteOutdoors

if I was trying to go lighter I’d use a thermarest neoair/xtherm and shelling out for dyneema seek outside tents. And my quilts I should have had a closed Footbox in the 0* and open in the 30*

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
20’ EE revelation
Xtherm pad
MLD bivy plus dynema ground cloth
Cimarron or DST
Pillow of choice
Sleep layers of choice
I have had this setup on some nights in the teens with no problem with warmth.
Not the lightest but the ability to roll the whole bivy/pad/quilt up together and break camp fast is nice.

JeremiahH

WKR
Just got back from a late archery spike hunt.
4000 feet and on an average year I would have been in snow already. So that was different than expected. A.m. Temps were in the high teens (guessing based off local recorded temps)
Pack weight with 3 litres of water was
39 lbs even.
(No weapon or optics in that weight)
169601f1f39773f6e68f26558195d0c5.jpg
9fc8f3111891aa20c035cbe622dc5526.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Borah Tarp 9oz
Borah Bivy CF 4 oz
BA AXL Insulated Pad 1.1 lb
EL Coyote Quilt-10* XXW-L 34 oz

Kifaru Sawtooth 4.5lb
Kifaru Stove-Medium 5lb
Exped Downmat LW 2.75 lb
Borah Bivy 4oz
El Coyote Quilt -10* XXW-L 34 oz

Moserkr

WKR
@Carrot Farmer Curious if you ever get cold in the quilt in temps between 0-15*. Thats the only thing im hesitant about with a late season quilt. Drafts? How big of a guy are you for that quilt size? Been looking at el coyote quilts so appreciate some insight. Thanks.