Ultralight Tripod Options

svivian

WKR
It's crazy how light that setup is isn't it?
Yes and the height it gets to for its weight. Im 6' 3" and have no problems using this standing without extending the center pole more than a few inches for a spotting scope. Best part is the twist lock leg system.

sr80

WKR
Yes and the height it gets to for its weight. Im 6' 3" and have no problems using this standing without extending the center pole more than a few inches for a spotting scope. Best part is the twist lock leg system.
which tripod is that?? I looked back through but couldnt find if you mentioned it.

pirogue

WKR
interesting, ive never seen that one before with that kind of twist lock leg. Can you let out say two leg sections only and relock the legs or do you need to let them all out?
That sleek look does appear to be a nice feature, but if I noticed correctly, that model is cheaper than the ST model with the conventional knob look. Wonder if weight rating, material, height, etc., are similar?

I have been pretty happy with my Spartan Sentinel tripod. I have used it with my binos and shot off it. It also makes a handy bipod, monopod and works well as trekking poles.

IMG_8283.jpeg

svivian

WKR
interesting, ive never seen that one before with that kind of twist lock leg. Can you let out say two leg sections only and relock the legs or do you need to let them all out?
Yep you can lock the legs at any section or length. Same system as the vortex summit SSP

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Lots to consider from this thread. Are any of these set ups really suited to shoot from the standing?

I had took two different shots from the standing position this year because of tall burst and sage. I want to cut some weight on my set up - but most of these options seem to be more oriented towards glassing/shooting from the seated or kneeling. Am I off base?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
That sleek look does appear to be a nice feature, but if I noticed correctly, that model is cheaper than the ST model with the conventional knob look. Wonder if weight rating, material, height, etc., are similar?
Someone just posted a link to a sale on the ST models

Welp this combo was money well spent

View attachment 652569
This is my exact plan right here. Recently got the tripod with the AT-10 fluid head. Hoping by beginning of season I'll have that Tricer head.

Hoping it will be much more stable with the spotter than the Aoka I bought last year. Was so irritated by that thing I went back to using my VA-5 head and T-024SK tripod.

BFM

FNG
Does anyone sell that Sirui AT125 without a head? I'd rather save a couple dollars than have another head I never use.

Reactions: CMF
It's been discussed a bit over the last two pages of this thread (the tripod, not necessarily the head).

Don’t know how I missed it… had been tracking comments on the Aziak and Tricer options, both seem to have great reviews and reasonable price. Something 1/3 the price seems suspicious but I’ll search to see if anyone has more comments on that setup.

*edit - looks like it’s been commented on in a few spots and recommended by a few folks. Maybe a good deal?

Drenalin

WKR
The Sirui website is annoying AF, but if it led me to the right tripod, this is on sale for $107 right now with the AT-10 fluid head.

Sirui Traveler X = AT-125...maybe
I placed an order for this tripod right after posting the above. Got an email immediately that said the order was pending, then nothing else, which made me wonder if I'd been scammed. But 72 hours later, the tripod showed up on the UPS truck! It is the correct tripod (AT-125) and it is still priced at $107 at the link above.

I placed an order for this tripod right after posting the above. Got an email immediately that said the order was pending, then nothing else, which made me wonder if I'd been scammed. But 72 hours later, the tripod showed up on the UPS truck! It is the correct tripod (AT-125) and it is still priced at $107 at the link above.

What’s your impression so far? I was thinking of grabbing one but concerned it wouldn’t be as sturdy as some of the other options in the $350 range.

Drenalin

WKR
What’s your impression so far? I was thinking of grabbing one but concerned it wouldn’t be as sturdy as some of the other options in the $350 range.
I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve used it awhile. It does seem well built.

A couple years ago, I had a Vortex Summit SS-P which this is very similar to. The lower two leg sections got pretty thin. They weren’t flimsy necessarily, they just weren’t very stout. I took those two leg sections out and ended up with a nice sturdy, short tripod. It was only suitable for using seated, and I never put anything heavier than binos on it. It was great for that. I’ll probably end up doing the same thing with this Sirui since I don’t use a tripod standing. I’ve never shot off a tripod and probably won’t, so I can’t speak to how it would work for that.