Under $700 optic for a beginner to grow with

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Option 1 - Stay under your budget and get a decent 3-9x40 and practice with your rifle. Then when your ready to invest in a more expensive scope with dialing capabilities purchase a new scope.

Option 2 - Save for a little longer and watch the threads for a Nightforce SHV that you can pickup for probably under $1,000

There is an SHV in the classifieds right now for $780 shipped. No affiliation.

Unclecroc

FNG
I’ll throw arken in the ring. They represent a great value in my book. They have a lighter version now with a 30mm tube and a capped windage turret.
I’ve put my sh4 through the ringer and it’s held up to everything I’ve dished out

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the looks of this other than the weight.
For the feature set it has, the weight is right in there with everything else. Actually pretty low honestly.

Less than an ounce heavier than the SWFA 3-15 that the OP got, and it doesn't really get more bare bones than that

Reactions: BCD

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, weight’s not bad for what it is. Wonder how good the glass is.

No experience with those scopes, but like others have said, get a variable in the 3-15, 4-16 x40-50mm and you'll be fine. I have a Leupold VX5 on one of my rifles that I like a lot. I have the CDS dial on it too and it works very well. can get a MOA scope and play with that too. Good luck and have fun.

LongOdds

FNG
Under $700 is a category that I don't have much faith in (when it comes to quality optics). Just too inconsistent and unreliable. That said, I'd lean Vortex simply for the no-questions asked warranty and customer service. You can absolutely find better glass for the same money.....but its a risk (be it defect or damage).

For $400 you can get a new vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44 or a used viper pst 6-24x50 for around $450. I have used both of these but now they are on my 6 and 9 year old kid’s rifles and they have held up really well. Matching reticles/turrets, decent glass, and vortex customer service you really can’t go wrong.

If your goal is strictly hunting...
I will go against the majority and say to get an SFP that accepts custom torrents or turret tape.
Kenton Industries makes many turrets and tapes if you don't go with Leupold CDS.

With these turrets/tape you can get the information on your ammo (velocity, weight, BC), select a target environment (Elevation, Temp, etc) and you can have an optic you can dial in by distance and make good hits. You will spend less money, have a lighter scope, and have the easiest solution.

I have lots of friends who aren't going to make the investment to learn advanced marksmanship skills but are able to effectively hit steel (and animal) out to 500 yards.

If you get the PRS bug or want to be more accurate further, you can then invest in a nice FFP scope and build your skills.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

eric1115

WKR
If your goal is strictly hunting...
I will go against the majority and say to get an SFP that accepts custom torrents or turret tape.
Kenton Industries makes many turrets and tapes if you don't go with Leupold CDS.

With these turrets/tape you can get the information on your ammo (velocity, weight, BC), select a target environment (Elevation, Temp, etc) and you can have an optic you can dial in by distance and make good hits. You will spend less money, have a lighter scope, and have the easiest solution.

I have lots of friends who aren't going to make the investment to learn advanced marksmanship skills but are able to effectively hit steel (and animal) out to 500 yards.

If you get the PRS bug or want to be more accurate further, you can then invest in a nice FFP scope and build your skills.

Best of luck whatever you choose!
My big issue with this (and I used to do it) is accounting for wind. The only way I would even consider it is with a 10x max magnification. If I have to be at 15x or higher for my reticle to be correct for a wind hold, I have zero interest in it for a hunting scope. I want to shoot animals at 5-8x most of the time.

Give me FFP every time please.

My big issue with this (and I used to do it) is accounting for wind. The only way I would even consider it is with a 10x max magnification. If I have to be at 15x or higher for my reticle to be correct for a wind hold, I have zero interest in it for a hunting scope. I want to shoot animals at 5-8x most of the time.
That's fair.
I would argue most shooters can't read wind anyway and at ethical distances for these folks, they aren't making large corrections anyway. I would advice they shoot the most wind resistant calibers to the help.

I will also say, I think people don't know that on a SFP reticle, if you are a half-mag you can just double the values in the reticle. For example, in a 15x you can usable reticle at 7.5x, 12x/6x, 20x/10x, etc.
I think many people can find a system that works for them.

kcm2

WKR
When I thiink lightweight, and your other specs, the 3.5x10 Leupold would meet every one of them. There are a lot of excellent scopes in your price range. I would definitely recommend a variable. The fixed 10x would be useless in the woods. And you may have a ten yard shot on year.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I will also say, I think people don't know that on a SFP reticle, if you are a half-mag you can just double the values in the reticle. For example, in a 15x you can usable reticle at 7.5x, 12x/6x, 20x/10x, etc.
I know this is nit picky, but your statement isn’t quite correct. In a 2.5-15 SFP scope, the reticle would be double around 8.75X. It’s calculated as 15-2.5=12.5. Then 12.5/2=6.25. Then 6.25+2.5=8.75. Not huge but it could be if you had a longer shot.

I know this is nit picky, but your statement isn’t quite correct. In a 2.5-15 SFP scope, the reticle would be double around 8.75X. It’s calculated as 15-2.5=12.5. Then 12.5/2=6.25. Then 6.25+2.5=8.75. Not huge but it could be if you had a longer shot.
Hello,
I don't believe I was incorrect.. Half mag is half of your max magnification, not half of your scopes magnification range.

Its double the calculation, because it's twice a big as the max magnification.
7.5x would be twice as big as 15x.

Thanks