unit 12 colorado around sleepycat mountain?

montee77

FNG
Has anyone hunting this area the last few years? We are going out there first rifle season, We have been there several times but it has been about 7 years since we have been, just curious of what the elk heard is like around there?

In that general area, last years estimates were 35,000 elk. It is one of the largest, if not the largest elk herd on earth. I'll be hunting up around Pagoda Peak 2nd season. I hope there is a little snow, just not a lot. Last year first season it dropped almost 2' of snow. Of course most people left, but the ones who stayed had great hunts.

I have bowhunter the area several times, last year being the most recent. We have always had decent success, but last year was a little tougher. The rut was not as strong and it was a little quieter than past years. We got 2 bulls out of 4, but had 1 snow day and couple of very windy days which made it difficult to hear any vocal elk. Be beat the timber hard and a called in a few, but the number of encounters was way down from hunts prior.

I think the elk are still there, just tougher conditions last year.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
In CO the best way to know what this year is like is to look at last years rifle harvest. Lots of guys did really well last year in N CO anyway with all the snow, that means less this fall. Unit 12 get hits pretty hard with muzzy cow tags too, so the limited draw only bow season tags and not that special later in the season. Especially where I hunted on the east side.

Rifle season is a shitshow, a lot of hunters and pretty much any animal you see will be running with its tongue hanging out. A lot of pressure.

Last edited:

KMT

WKR
Bring your Kevlar and body armor. More hunters than you could imagine. One if the few places in the state where I was in fear of being killed by another hunter. When the sun rises, you will see plenty of orange.

OP
M

montee77

FNG
Kmt , where did you hunt if you don't mind me asking? It has been five years since we have been but, we always had pretty good success, were you close to sleepycat mnt?

krueger

FNG
Bring your Kevlar and body armor. More hunters than you could imagine. One if the few places in the state where I was in fear of being killed by another hunter. When the sun rises, you will see plenty of orange.

+100, I hunted unit 12 one year and it was unbelievable crowded. I shot a bull opening morning but I doubt I will ever go back to that unit without head to toe ORANGE. Saw a lot of elk but I was in fear of getting hit with a stray bullet.

KMT

WKR
Kmt , where did you hunt if you don't mind me asking? It has been five years since we have been but, we always had pretty good success, were you close to sleepycat mnt?

South of sleepy cat and also tried it a few miles west.

OP
M

montee77

FNG
That is pretty much the same area we hunted we always packed in about 3 miles from camp in the main road and typically didn't see a bunch of hunters. Did you guys hunt off the main road a ways.

JG358

WKR
That is pretty much the same area we hunted we always packed in about 3 miles from camp in the main road and typically didn't see a bunch of hunters. Did you guys hunt off the main road a ways.

I hunt a bit north of Sleepcat. Set our camp in the same place every year(20+years for the old timers in our camp) a little over 5 miles from the trailhead. Had around 20 people ride past our camp opening morning well before first light. I'd be willing to bet some rode by before I got out of the tipi too. Distance from the road doesnt seem to equate to less presure in White River NF anymore.

OP
M

montee77

FNG
Thanks for the feedback we hunted there for about 10 years straight but haven't been in 5 years. So I can only hope for the best. When we hunted there there was always a lot of 4 wheelers. But we didn't see a lot of horses.

JG358

WKR
Should be a good year. Lots of elk in the area and the preasure keeps them moving. Find a good escape route and you shouldnt have a problem killing an elk.