Unit 27 Arizona for Archery Mule Deer in January

koupe1447

FNG
Looking to head out to unit 27 in January for an archery mule deer hunt. I don't know much about the unit besides the things I have found out through e-scouting and research. Does anyone have any general info on weather, road conditions, and etc... for that time of year? It looks like theres a pretty good amount of deer out there. Thanks!

bohntr

WKR
Weather? Last year the highway was closed from the north end the first week of January due to snow.........the state did not plow it. It's not as good as you read on-line.....and I live up there. There's deer, just not what all the hype is stating. Be prepared to hike in rugged country, as there are very few roads in the unit.

I'll be in a Region V unit for the January rut hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
In case you don't know, kouppe, the little looking glass thing at the top is a search feature. Just click on it and type in what you want to look for.

OP
K

koupe1447

FNG
Weather? Last year the highway was closed from the north end the first week of January due to snow.........the state did not plow it. It's not as good as you read on-line.....and I live up there. There's deer, just not what all the hype is stating. Be prepared to hike in rugged country, as there are very few roads in the unit.

I'll be in a Region V unit for the January rut hunt.

Do you know what roads are like off hwy 191 near Clifton by chance?

OP
K

koupe1447

FNG
The roads down towards Morenci and Clifton are usually good to go, as they're rocky and shed rain fairly well.
Gotcha! I have never been out to Arizona before so I am trying to get a good idea of what the area is like. I understand there are quite a few deer out in that unit. Just takes alot of glassing and finding where they are.

sgibson

FNG
I've been hunting 27 my whole life and you never know if you'll be in a light jacket and have access to shoddy every road in the unit, or have the heaviest combination of winter clothes you can come up with on and only be able to get to half the unit. Either way, that January hunt is usually the best in the lower elevation parts of that unit. Even if the road is clear on top there's still a good chance the deer will still be dropped down to the lower elevations. Like was stated before, be ready to hunt some rugged country and put in some miles. When you get into them it's good hunting, but it may take a while to find them.