Unit 500 montana

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there guys. So a buddy of mine has family in Montana with a ranch on the Yellowstone river. Looks to be unit 500. Looks like a challenge getting a tag. Any tips or pointers. First year looking into a western hunt. It can be intimidating just trying to wrap my head around it all.

Thanks in advance

grizz1971

FNG
Are you looking at the archery season or the general season? The deadline is March 15th for non residents to apply.

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Archery, however would do whatever is best for the odds. My buddy's want to go this year. I thought it would be best to hold out and just buy a bonus point and try next year. Looks like low odds, only 6 tags?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't look like they have a 500 archery only tag. I just looked and there was 19 applicants and they issued 4 non resident tags. One point isn't going to increase your odds much. In Montana they squared your points so in theory anyone can draw.

You do understand the system in Montana? Fact that you need to draw the general tag than you'll be allowed to apply for a special unit tag. If you do not draw your special unit tag you can return the general tag for an 80% refund. It can get expensive applying for long shot tags in Montana.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
that's why im trying to figure it all out to plan for the future instead of winging it like my buddy wants to do. he has said unit 500 once, then unit 500-20 another time. the ranch is Columbus MT 55019. With my first kid on the way I want to be as informed as possible especially when playing with big money, to me at least.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have some research to do. I think 500 archery is part of the 900 series tags. Rifle is different. Also, elk are widely scattered and very nomadic in that area. I'd make sure whatever ranch they have has, and holds elk. If they're not on the private land you're hunting, public land is very limited in that area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to dig up as much as I can. I have called montana fish and wildlife a few times and they are great compared to virginia and make it sound easy but I cant seem to get every detail for that particular unit down. The draw and party system got that covered. Except. Onus/ pref points for the party. How do individual points effect a party? Also this is the first I have heard of the unit draw inside the general draw.

slick

WKR
I’ll just be driving for the next hour or so. Then will be busy, but will call you back if you have the time. We could go through the regulations real quick to try and help you get a better grasp at it. PM sent

cgasner1

WKR
It is in the 900 tag takes a non resident about 3 years to draw could be a gold mine or bust depending on where the property is I’ll have the tag this year hopefully be glad to check it out it’s only 40 minutes down the road for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizz1971

FNG
I know the area fairly well. You can pm and I can help you out withe licensing if you would like. Depending on where the ranch is, there are good bulls in that district.

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like we apply general then add either 500-20 for rifle/archery or 900-20 archery only...or get base license, conservation permit, then apply b tag and buy bonus point for next year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Btw 4 of applying as a party
Yep that makes for really long odds since they don't issue very many tags. If you apply and draw but they only had 3 tags left they skip over you and move to next in line.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Guys I just want to say thank you to all who have helped. It's really a breath of fresh air lately. Great to talk to a bunch of great straight forward guys on the same page.