Unit 61 Colorado 2nd rifle

Chad L

FNG
New to this forum-drew a tag for unit 61 2nd rifle season. Looking for some pointers from anyone who may have hunted this unit before. Was planning to make the trip with a buddy but I believe due to a work situation won’t be going. Thank you in advance for any help.

I haven't hunted unit 61 but, I did scout the top of unit 62 this year in July. I like the looks of the west side of the mountain. From the country I've seen it looks like long canyons with good ridge lines to glass from. Good luck

I you would mind keeping us posted on your 2nd rifle season. I'm headed out for 3rd season. Thanks

One thing I thought I might mention, I spoke to some ranchers in July that had their cattle on top and they said they have seen a lot of black bears this year. When I spoke to them in the afternoon they said they run into a sow and two cubs while fixing fence that day. Just an FYI

OP
Chad L

Chad L

FNG
Started putting together my stuff for the hunt. Hard to believe I’ll be leaving in just over a week. Seems like only yesterday I was deciding to use my points and apply for this hunt. Have a few places in mind to start but would appreciate anymore input anyone would be willing to share. Thanks to those that have replied.

OP
Chad L

Chad L

FNG
I grew up in a little town called Nucla, in unit 61. Some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen came from that unit, PM me and I can give you a little info if you'd like.
I unfortunately am not able to PM. Here is my phone number if you could text me 9202543345

Stiffy11

FNG
Ive hunted there quite a few times but havent been back since 2012. I hunted the most around the area that burned last year. I would tell you to go there but Im sure everyone else is prob gonna head there.

OP
Chad L

Chad L

FNG
What is the quality type you can expect to have an opportunity at if you hunt hard?

Pepe55

FNG
Never hunted that unit but where we hunted get a mile or so off the trail and you are on your own good luck

Bigjohn84

FNG
Hunted Elk ( first season last year) saw one deer hunting and scouting, hope you see more. Good Luck

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 62 a couple times , people bash it, but if u grind it out there are some toads to be dug up , ur in a good unit , hard work pays off , u’ll Get em

OP
Chad L

Chad L

FNG
I’m sitting here filled with anticipation thinking that in 3 days I will begin my journey westward. At almost 50 years young I still have the joy and passion for hunting. This will be my 1st truly western mule deer hunt. I have killed 3 mule deer bucks in Nebraska but have never tried in the mountains/high desert areas of Colorado. Being from Wisconsin whitetails have always been my passion. I truly appreciate the input from those that have shared some pointers.

Pepe55

FNG
Better be in shape. Iwent as a flatlander who runs every day walks with a 75 lb pack every other day and lifts weights but at 66 those mointains kicked my ass but i loved it