Unit 61 Colorado (Updated With Hunt Recap at the End)

cnelk

WKR
^^^ You wont ever catch Unit 10.
Go look at the draw recap stats and see the point creep every year.

Hell, you may not ever catch 61

[P.S. - Ive hunted both]

Dannalyse

FNG
Cnelk seems like you want me to burn my points on other units so you can draw a tag again! I’ve waited a long time to join a site like this because it seems like this is the type of response you always get!

cnelk

WKR
Cnelk seems like you want me to burn my points on other units so you can draw a tag again! I’ve waited a long time to join a site like this because it seems like this is the type of response you always get!

You obviously havent looked at the Draw Recap. You really should.

Here's the link - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2021ElkDrawRecap.pdf

Look at hunt codes EE010o1A [Unit 10] and EE061o1A [Unit 61]

I will never draw/catch 10 or 61 again. I have other plans

Dannalyse

FNG
I do look at it every year and realize I may be 10-20 years from drawing and with you have hunted both units was hoping for some good feedback. Also had a friend with 18 points draw the tag 2 years ago for unit 10. I know he was extremely lucky with drawing it with that few points.

Thanks

This was a great read. It has me excited. I'm reading and researching as much as possible before the draw. My brother and I both have enough points to draw 61 archery. I'm 90 percent confident I'm putting in for it.
I'm going to try and make it over there before the draw and check it out.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
This was a great read. It has me excited. I'm reading and researching as much as possible before the draw. My brother and I both have enough points to draw 61 archery. I'm 90 percent confident I'm putting in for it.
I'm going to try and make it over there before the draw and check it out.
I would definitely suggest getting over there and spending some time in the unit. Just like most units in CO it is huge and the terrain is not as forgiving as many make it out to be. Yes there are plenty of areas that aren't that bad but the elk don't spend as much time there. Lots of people in and around the unit. Lots of tags beyond the difficult to draw tags. Bear hunters, bird hunters, people scouting during season, bikers, campers, firewood guys, cowboys, guides, and of course the cattle. Still the best elk experiences I have ever had in 20 years of hunting elk in CO. I just wished I would have put in a little more time before to get to know the area.

Don't listen to everyone that throws around waiting for xxx inches. Get in your head what you will be happy with and go with your gut. I am glad I didn't shoot that nice 6 point 2 hours into the hunt (I was regretting it on day 5!) because I would not have experienced my last couple of days in 61.

Cheers!

Scoot

WKR
I do look at it every year and realize I may be 10-20 years from drawing and with you have hunted both units was hoping for some good feedback. Also had a friend with 18 points draw the tag 2 years ago for unit 10. I know he was extremely lucky with drawing it with that few points.

Thanks
Curious how old you are and how many points you currently have? Also, what season are you hoping to hunt?

Regardless, I hope you pull a great tag and have a blast!

Last edited: