University Study - Arrow Vane Designs for Improved Broadhead Flight

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To develop a scientific understanding of vane design parameters and their effects on bowhunting arrow performance, we sponsored a University of Colorado - Mechanical Engineering study. Three reports are now available from this study to help bow hunters better understand these critical parameters and how they are affected by the vane design you choose.

Vane Height and Its Effect on Vane Performance
Arrow and Vane Drag
Bow Hunting Vane Stability and Restoring Torque

The goal here is to give bowhunters a better understanding of arrow flight with broadheads to help them be more accurate. Additional papers will be added in the near future. Let me know what you think.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm more of a "try it and test it for myself" kind of guy, and then rely on my findings and experience to pick what I use. However, this is probably really good stuff for vane manufacturers so they can make new stuff that we can all try. If they build it, I generally will try it.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Bill, this is an enormous gift to archers and the industry. We make most of our equipment selections based on bro-science and anecdotal experiences posted on Internet forums. All of it sketchy at best. Having these data-based results as gathered in controlled settings helps us all.

I thank you for what you are doing to improve the sport.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
The overall take away page is good, might download the full report. Was all testing done with your 2 blade broadheads, or was the vane comparisons also done with mechanicals and/or 3 blades to compare results?

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All the modeling and empirical testing was done with Iron Will broadheads vs field points, but the findings would apply to any fixed blade head and even some mechanicals where the geometry creates a significant lift when at a slight angle to the airflow.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bill, this is an enormous gift to archers and the industry. We make most of our equipment selections based on bro-science and anecdotal experiences posted on Internet forums. All of it sketchy at best. Having these data-based results as gathered in controlled settings helps us all.

I thank you for what you are doing to improve the sport.
Thank you. We invested thousands of engineering hours in this two year study. I wanted a better scientific understanding of arrow flight with broadheads on the front, which has been lacking in the industry, so that I could become a better bowhunter myself and have the data to advise our customers on the best arrow setups.

Zac

WKR
Fascinating Bill, I hope in the future you will do some micro diameter arrow tests. Really curious to see how the data would stack up against Firenocks claims. Dorge cautions against high profile vanes on micros due to increased oscillation. So it would be curious to see how your vane does on an Easton LR, vs an Axis.

"Arrow stability was measured experimentally by taking the positional x and y data measurements from each arrow shot and developing statistical groupings for each different arrow/vane combination." (from Vanes and Stability/Restoring Torque when Archery Hunting)

@Bill V do you plan to publish the shot measurements? The theory and CFD simulations are interesting, but actual group size data for different fletching configurations is what I would really like to see.

Beendare

WKR
Always nice to have a scientific study....kudos for sponsoring it.

How long have Blazers been out? Those made it clear that taller fletch stabilizes better. IME, just about any fletch works fine so I typically go with minimal fletching [even on my trad bow] as long as the bow is tuned and heads are aligned the little fletchings work great.
[Little= Blazers in a compound and 3" feathers in a recurve]

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I typically go with minimal fletching [even on my trad bow] as long as the bow is tuned and heads are aligned the little fletchings work great.
[Little= Blazers in a compound and 3" feathers in a recurve]
After a lot of trial and error and testing vanes........I try to use "just enough" fletching to overcome the BH's and stabilize the arrow as quickly as possible, which provides very consistent long range accuracy. I don't use helical. I fletch my QS Speed Hunter vanes almost straight, and my 4-fletch Q2i Fusion Xii 2.1" vanes with just a small offset. These two vane setups provide very similar trajectories and long range windage for my arrows.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Great to see the strong science applied to arrow stabilization in the Ironwill studies.

Wonder what the corresponding scientific analysis is of arrow noise (vane, broadhead, shaft, nock, etc)?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Blazer certainly have always worked, but dang they buzz like baseball card in bicycle spokes.
It's kind of funny, but the only vanes I've ever heard from my own arrows after leaving the bow have been FF Silent Knight vanes. Definitely not silent. And I shoot QS's, which are well known for supposedly being loud, and I have also shot Blazers. A buddy and I shot several arrows with different vanes several years ago while the other stood out near the target to listen to them all. Quite frankly, we didn't find any vanes that didn't make noise while in flight. Most all of them were just a "hiss" of some sort right before the thwack of hitting the target.

On a different note, I've heard a lot of guys say or imply that an arrow is just about going to bounce off an animal at 100 yards. But when you're standing nearby and hear that arrow zip by and hit that target, it's pretty impressive.....even at 100+. I'm not implying or advocating for shooting animals at 100+, but most compound arrows are definitely more than capable at that distance.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
It's kind of funny, but the only vanes I've ever heard from my own arrows after leaving the bow have been FF Silent Knight vanes. Definitely not silent. And I shoot QS's, which are well known for supposedly being loud, and I have also shot Blazers. A buddy and I shot several arrows with different vanes several years ago while the other stood out near the target to listen to them all. Quite frankly, we didn't find any vanes that didn't make noise while in flight. Most all of them were just a "hiss" of some sort right before the thwack of hitting the target.

On a different note, I've heard a lot of guys say or imply that an arrow is just about going to bounce off an animal at 100 yards. But when you're standing nearby and hear that arrow zip by and hit that target, it's pretty impressive.....even at 100+. I'm not implying or advocating for shooting animals at 100+, but most compound arrows are definitely more than capable at that distance.
I agree. Penetration at that range isn't really the problem. It's animal movement and shot ability.

Penetration doesn't really seem to be a tangible problem for most all modern compound archers. Especially males at average draw length, weight and a nearly any fixed broadhead.

I do notice vane noise more though with Blazers over say a Max Stealth or Easton Diamond 280. I'm a walking contradiction though, I don't actually think at most ranges that it matters. 50 yds plus I think it does but within 30 I can't imagine that being the driving factor. But noise drives me nuts and I like the quietest heads and vanes I can shoot. Just a confidence thing. Not really wanting to find out or have it in the back of my mind if one does react like crazy.