Unpopular opinion Mountain house > Peak refuel

87TT

WKR
I have one but haven’t used it in many, many years. If you got some good recipes, and don’t mind sharing, I’d love to have a good reason to break it out and try my hand at some recommended backpacking meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next time you have leftover spaghetti or something, dehydrate it and try it. Use parchment paper on the tray if juicy. Heck I have dehydrated ketchup and used a coffee grinder to turn it into powder. Avoid any greasy or oily stuff as they can get rancid if not refrigerated. In cooler weather they will keep for a few days.
Try EVERY thing at home first. One to get the added amount of water right and two to see if you like it. Some kind of cozy to let it sit in while it rehydrates is good too.

Last edited:

MJB

WKR
Stowaway for the win!
Cost twice but we'll worth it!

Except for breakfast
Can't beat the peak scramble breakfast the sausage peppers onions potatoes damn good and a lot of it.

MH has way too much salt they do make some military meals that only last 2 years and has half the salt.

Stowaway for the win!
Cost twice but we'll worth it!

Except for breakfast
Can't beat the peak scramble breakfast the sausage peppers onions potatoes damn good and a lot of it.

MH has way too much salt they do make some military meals that only last 2 years and has half the salt.
I agree, never tried or had the desire to try a stowaway breakfast. The off grid breakfast scramble and their oatmeal stuff is great for a breakfast. I dont ever eat breakfast tho, usually just a bar if anything

I usually eat the mh bacon and eggs and actually like it quite a bit. I got a box of various hot sauce packets on Amazon that I’ll pep it up with. I try to stick to the paleo diet that I’ve been on for the last 4 years so most of the dehydrated stuff with noodles or rice is out, which is most of them but I’ll eat the beef stew though it has potatoes and I’ve been eating some beans for the last year or so to make things easier. Back before I started the paleo thing the my biscuits and gravy was my go to. For those who eat paleo, wild Zora makes a few backpacking meals that are pretty good and aren’t too expensive. They are typically under seasoned which is easy enough to fix.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
MH has way too much salt
When I'm sweating out a gallon of water a day I need that salt replacement.

I've never found a decent breakfast dehydrated meal. But then again, I won't eat anything but "fresh" eggs so that's not surprising.

It's irritating that MH has decided to jack up their prices AND make them lighter/smaller, but continue to say they're "2 servings". I won't pay more for less, even in these high inflation times, so I stop giving my money to those companies that do that. If they need to raise the prices then fine........do that. But leave the size/amount the same.

Having said that, the MH Lasagna has always been my family's favorite. I also like the Sweet & Sour Pork and the chicken and potatoes meal. The stroganoff is horrendous. We also liked the Chicken Alfredo before they discontinued it.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I think MH are generally pretty good. Especially the breakfast skillet. But i just ordered 7 days worth of Packit Gourmet to try this fall. They look pretty fantastic to me.

Jethro

WKR
I like Mountain House. Sweet and Sour Pork is my favorite by far. Of course they stopped making it.

I have tried the Peak. Mostly because they come so highly recommended on here. I thought they were OK, but I didn't find them noticeably better tasting than MH.

MJB

WKR
When I'm sweating out a gallon of water a day I need that salt replacement.

I've never found a decent breakfast dehydrated meal. But then again, I won't eat anything but "fresh" eggs so that's not surprising.

It's irritating that MH has decided to jack up their prices AND make them lighter/smaller, but continue to say they're "2 servings". I won't pay more for less, even in these high inflation times, so I stop giving my money to those companies that do that. If they need to raise the prices then fine........do that. But leave the size/amount the same.

Having said that, the MH Lasagna has always been my family's favorite. I also like the Sweet & Sour Pork and the chicken and potatoes meal. The stroganoff is horrendous. We also liked the Chicken Alfredo before they discontinued it.
When two meals exceeds your daily sodium intake no thanks 140% daily sodium from 1200 calories. That's the chicken & dumplings from MH.

I use Gatorade powder for my electrolyte needs.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I like a number of MH meals, haven't really tried the others. Always buy the two serving bags for one meal.