Unpopular opinion: Swaro EL is better than NL

Grape

FNG
I've been comparing the ELs and NL pures. After getting some time behind the glass on both and playing around with them. I'm liking the ELs more for the price. If price wasn't a concern, I still don't know if I'd choose the NLs over the ELs, however, price is a deciding factor. The colors are a bit different, but I'm not really in love with the colors through the NLs, I feel as though the ELs actually help me see wildlife easier.. maybe I'm missing something or maybe I need a couple hundred hours behind each of them to appreciate something that I'm just not getting yet.

Another thing I've noticed is that the NLs don't have a locking diopter like the ELs have.

If the NLs were lighter then I'd see more of an argument for the increased price but, when looking at the 10x42s the ELs are actually marginally lighter.

I will concede that the grip/feel is nicer on the NLs but that's really the only part about them that I liked more.

I'll probably see replies saying I'm wrong or I don't know what I'm talking about. That's fine, after all, it is just my opinion and I only have a few hours behind each.

Please share your opinions and let me know what you think. If I'm missing something, please let me know so that I can try them out again to test whatever facet the NLs are superior that I missed.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I compared 12x NL/EL this weekend and 10x NLs as well for a bit.

I think the argument is easier for those rocking 12s. NLs are significantly lighter and smaller.

When comparing, I personally couldn’t see a difference other than FOV (and ergos mentioned above). The FOV wasn’t as noticeable as I thought it would be either.

For me personally, the ergos of the 12 is the “is the upgrade worth it” question. And at ~$1k delta it’s an impressive question.

rhsmith3

FNG
I own both and have 100s of hours behind both.

You couldn’t make me go back to ELs full time they are my wife’s and spares.

The diopter strips super easy on the el if you have a bino harness that is fairly rigid and you put them in an pull them out quick, it pulls the focus wheel out slightly and if you go to move the focus wheel it strips.

Honestly I wish the NLs weren’t so much better I could’ve saved a lot of money! FOV, ergonomics, focus wheel all are much better without even getting to the glass.