Update on wolves in CO / Officers view pack of 6 on 01/19...

3forks

WKR
Also, Governor Polis welcomes wolves back to the state (in case there was any doubt in your mind that he wouldn’t).

MOFFAT COUNTY - Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officials are confirming they have additional evidence that a group of wolves is now residing in northwest Colorado.

On Jan. 19, CPW wildlife officers investigated the discovery of an animal carcass surrounded by large wolf-like tracks in the northwest corner of Moffat County. While conducting their investigation in the field, they made an attempt to locate the wolves. In their search, they heard distinct howls in the area. Officers used binoculars to observe approximately six wolves about two miles from the location of the carcass.

“This is a historic sighting. While lone wolves have visited our state periodically including last fall, this is very likely the first pack to call our state home since the 1930s. I am honored to welcome our canine friends back to Colorado after their long absence,” said Governor Jared Polis. “It’s important that Coloradans understand that the gray wolf is under the protection of the Endangered Species Act. While the animals have naturally migrated to our state and their presence draws public interest, it’s important that people give them space. Due to their Protected status, there are severe federal penalties for anyone that intentionally harms or kills wolves in our state.”

"Right after our two officers heard the howls from the wolves, they used binoculars to observe approximately six wolves about two miles from the location of the carcass," said JT Romatzke, Northwest Region Manager for CPW. "After watching them for about 20 minutes, the officers rode in to get a closer look. The wolves were gone but they found plenty of large tracks in the area.”

According to the officers, the tracks measured approximately 4.5 to 5.5 inches and appear to have been made by at least six animals.

"As we have made clear, Colorado Parks and Wildlife will not take direct action in these cases," said Dan Prenzlow, Director of Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "We have the leading experts on wildlife management and species recovery working for our agency, but while wolves remain federally protected, they are under the jurisdiction of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. We will continue to work with our federal partners and monitor the situation."

According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, killing a wolf can result in federal charges, including a $100,000 fine and a year in prison, per offense. The public is urged to contact CPW immediately and fill out a report if they see or hear wolves or find evidence of any wolf activity in Colorado. The Wolf Sighting Form can be found on the CPW website.

was only a matter of time before they spread out of the greater yellowstone area and made there way to CO naturally. We have them here in MI. I like them around but they need to be managed like any other fur bearing / game animal.

BuzzH

WKR
Saw this as well. The good news is that these sightings potentially diminish the case for reintroduction.

How so? Just curious because wolves were documented in Montana in about 1985 and by 1988 had established packs from just outside Glacier NP, in the South Fork of the Flathead and clear to the Ninemile Valley just West of Missoula.

Reintroduction happened in 1995.

Not seeing how a pack wandering into CO and setting up shop will make reintroduction more difficult.

IMO, it wont slow anything down, but I'm open for any proof otherwise.

What is going to slow down wolf reintroduction in CO is the fact that wolves are a federally protected species under the ESA and Colorado will not do a single thing without lots of Federal involvement. That wont be a fast process, ballot initiative or not.

wytx

WKR
Hum..... wonder what happens of they venture up into Southern Wyoming? Oh, I know. We can help those ranchers if they get chased north.

Poser

WKR
Poser is assuming common sense would determine that wolves don't need "reintroduction".
Buzz is explaining that common sense is not a factor in wolf issues.

This may sadly be the case. However, it does allow one to make an appeal to economics in the debate: “why spend x amount (of millions of dollars) to introduce an animal that is already here?” You know, the old “you get your cake and get to eat it, too”

If wolves are inevitable in CO, might as well go the slow route vs the sudden one. I have extrapolated that CPW has existing an long term management plan for wolves which could presumably be applied much sooner for naturally expanding wolves vs reintroduced populations?

cnelk

WKR
Hum..... wonder what happens of they venture up into Southern Wyoming? Oh, I know. We can help those ranchers if they get chased north.

I just dont hear or see many Wyoming guys shooting the existing wolves they have?
If they are fair game, why arent we seeing more dead ones?

BuzzH

WKR
I just dont hear or see many Wyoming guys shooting the existing wolves they have?
If they are fair game, why arent we seeing more dead ones?

Here's something to think about, you cant swing a dead cat around without hitting an elk....success rate is 40% statewide.

You expect high success on wolves?

Look at bear and lion harvest success as well, very low, wayyyy more bears and lions than wolves.

Could also be the fact that there just aren't that many wolves in Wyoming to start with.

cnelk

WKR
Here's something to think about, you cant swing a dead cat around without hitting an elk....success rate is 40% statewide.
You expect high success on wolves?
Look at bear and lion harvest success as well, very low, wayyyy more bears and lions than wolves.
Could also be the fact that there just aren't that many wolves in Wyoming to start with.

I dont expect squat.
But I keep hearing you Wyoming guys says that they will shoot wolves, but never see any evidence of it.

BTW. I am very familiar with wolves, their covert presence, and have had livestock and pets killed because of them.

BuzzH

WKR
I dont expect squat.
But I keep hearing you Wyoming guys says that they will shoot wolves, but never see any evidence of it.

BTW. I am very familiar with wolves, their covert presence, and have had livestock and pets killed because of them.

I get pictures from time to time of wolves shot here and elsewhere...got one from a buddy in Montana that got a dandy wolf a couple days back.

I guess for perspective, I spent 26 days in "wolf central" Wyoming hunting sheep. I could have shot several grizzlies and a black bear, didn't even see a wolf. Did see wolf tracks a few times, but probably saw 12-15 grizzly tracks for every wolf tracks.

Ask your average hunter to shoot a dozen coyotes a year....few will even if they try.

wapitibob

WKR
".... "We have the leading experts on wildlife management and species recovery working for our agency, but while wolves remain federally protected, they are under the jurisdiction of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. We will continue to work with our federal partners and monitor the situation." We are currently working diligently on a Management Agreement with the USFWS so we can assume state management of wolves at the earliest possible time.

fixed it

I dont expect squat.

I've wondered the same thing. I regularly hunt em in Idaho, and have shot a few. I could name 2 dozen guys I know that have also shot one or more wolves. Friends in Montana regularly shoot them too, but I only hear crickets from the Wyoming crowd.......

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Plus, the reference to SSS is just a backwards, stupid way of saying hunters are illegally shooting wildlife

Hunters would probably have a tag. That doesn't mean hunters are the only ones killing them. How much evidence do you see for coyotes being killed in WY? I never see any on the internet.

And actually referencing SSS is just a way of saying that most people aren't plastering their kills all over the internet......legal or otherwise.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Hunters would probably have a tag. That doesn't mean hunters are the only ones killing them. How much evidence do you see for coyotes being killed in WY? I never see any on the internet.

And actually referencing SSS is just a way of saying that most people aren't plastering their kills all over the internet......legal or otherwise.

Hmmm.... if it’s legal then what’s the shovel used for?