Upgrade a Remington 700 or buy a new rifle?

I have a Remington 700 sendero in 300 wm. I want a backpack style rifle. Should I put a barrel and stock on what I have or buy a new gun?

TaperPin

WKR
I have a Remington 700 sendero in 300 wm. I want a backpack style rifle. Should I put a barrel and stock on what I have or buy a new gun?
I‘m a big fan of adding new barrels and stocks. Just an hour ago an old Remington 700 30-06 barrel out of the 1960’s that matches my 270 barrel showed up. It must have been a rifle ordered destroyed by a police department, because the front part of the receiver is still intact. It’s rare to see a cross section of the action. *chuckle*

59F9B13D-470A-4CE8-B473-E9F44F7D1A07.jpeg

CorbLand

WKR
I think we would need more information of what your actual intend for use and wants out of the rifle are...a backpack style gun is pretty vague.

packer58

WKR
I'm a 700 fan so take this with a grain of salt. The Rem 700 platform is like the Chevy 350 of rifles. Most smiths can work on them and are readily modified and accurized. Have fun with it and build yourself a semi custom to your liking ... Also, buy another just so your bases are covered .. can't have to many ..

WKR
Welcome to the forum. After building a few, it's way easier to just buy a Tikka and put a great scope on it. Good luck either way.

Kurts86

WKR
Modifying Remington 700’s is a bottomless pit that is just as expensive as buying a custom 700 clone in the end. Just buy a new gun.

OP
K
Buy a new gun is always the answer

View attachment 658829
It's possible I'm searching for 10 so I can buy a few things.
I think we would need more information of what your actual intend for use and wants out of the rifle are...a backpack style gun is pretty vague.
My thinking would be a light weight 7-9lbs rifle for Western style hunts. I could get that out of my gun if I change the stock and barrel. But it almost seems better to find a gun already set up that way for the money.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
ummm what's wrong with the current rifle? Sounds like a great rifle for western big game no matter the hunting style

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 700bdl 300 win mag that I had some custom work done, barrel, bedding, etc...Best decision ever. Sucker is a tack driver. Most accurate rifle I've ever shot and still the memories of hunting with it over the year.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I have two rifles built off of 700 actions that I use for hunting. Great rifles but at the end of the day they are still 700’s. Your budget will be your deciding factor. Personally I would go with a Defiance and keep your current rifle the way it is or sell it.

grfox92

WKR
To me a backcountry rifle is a medium caliber, 6.5CM, 7mm08, 308, in a folding chassis. If it doesn't fold in half and reduce its size, then it's not a backcountry rifle, it's just a rifle.

If light weight is what you are striving for in a backcountry rifle, a Tikka in any of the above mentioned calibers would fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
It's possible I'm searching for 10 so I can buy a few things.

My thinking would be a light weight 7-9lbs rifle for Western style hunts. I could get that out of my gun if I change the stock and barrel. But it almost seems better to find a gun already set up that way for the money.
What’s it currently weigh?
Does it shoot?