Upgrading advice needed.

dog812

WKR
Hey everyone.
I need some advice on what I should upgrade first. I am looking to lighten my pack. Some background
I am a backpack hunter mainly. I have a wall tent that I use but we still hike out everyday.
I did a fly in 11 day self guided sheep hunt last year and got drawn for a leh dall and goat this year. So I am turning into more of a backpack hunter then before.
My pack for the sheep hunt was 80#
Brutal to say the least.
My sleep system needs work.
I have a good little 5# tent that keeps the rain out.
A 0 degree 4# sleeping bag,
xtherm mattress.
I have tried tarp and bivy but it makes me nervous planning for a far north hunt that I could see rain the whole time I am there.
I also carried a eberlestock j34 which was interesting fitting everything in. It probably weighs close to nine pounds with the extra pockets on it.

I am not rich at all, but don't want to buy gear over and over. Where should I start upgrading you think?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Look into a Tarp Tent. Light weight and sturdy. I went with a Stratospire 1. If you are concerned about rain and moister, you might want to go with the synthetic sleeping bag route. Look at a Kifaru Slick bag.

Also upgrade that pack with something that can actually carry #80, like a Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch. You don't need to buy all new. Look in the classifieds on here or Archerytalk or other forum sites.

With those upgrades you will be cutting some serious weight and have good quality equipment that will last you a long time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Yep all good and all.. But I don't have money for everything.
Where would your start?

Also my bag is synthetic

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
no expert on bivying but looks like your pack is way heavy I would look to lighten it many good options for it

Hunter6

WKR
If it were me I would start with your backpack. Then you can carry all that stuff better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, start with the pack. One of the top tier hunting packs will allow you to carry what you already have much easier. Also, it is the item that will last you the longest. Then next season, upgrade whatever is in your budget and will give you the most weight savings. Keep doing that each season.

Scoot

WKR
Your mattress is good, your bag sounds ok, and your tent sounds a little heavy (but could be worse). You have a less than mediocre pack for what you're doing. However, after all of those things you've got 60 lbs of other stuff you're carrying with you- that's where I'd start cutting. I would try upgrade my pack (if you can swing it) and I'd do everything to cut out as much of the 60 lbs of "other stuff" as possible. If that seems reasonable, maybe post a gear list of all of that "other stuff"? Lots of guys here can help you determine what you "need" and "don't need". I'd bet a case of beer you've got a lot of things much more experienced guys will tell you is not necessary. Listen to them!

If you can swing a new pack, I'd look at the following: 1) a used Kifaru with a Bikini or Duplex frame (used from the classifieds here), 2) a used Exo (again from the classifieds here), and 3) a KUIU when they have a screamin' deal. If you sell your current pack you could cover a lot of these cost of one of these options. Plus, you could sell your additional 20 lbs of stuff you're told not to bring on the trip! :)

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Yah I am looking at packs, that's what I was thinking as well.
The 80# included everything gun, boots, spotter, tripod etc... But yes my shelter system needs work.
I have been looking at the exo packs.

Jimbob

WKR
1. weigh everything.
2. see if you can cut any gear that is not needed.
3. Sometimes cheap alternatives can save weight (stove, water purification/filter etc)
4. Post your gear list for others to critique

Those 4 things are pretty simple to do. As far as investment I would be looking at your sleeping bag and pack. I shop the classifieds to find deals and afford nice gear that I could never buy brand new, It's worth the time to find those deals. So many good options on great packs out there and it seems there is always someone selling and upgrading. Good luck

AdamW

WKR
I would look at cutting 2-3# off your pack before cutting 2-3# off your sleep system. I think you might find not only are you saving pounds on the pack but the weight you do carry will be more comfortable TO carry with a different pack.

Doghed

WKR
I agree with the above. Scoot nailed it. The classifieds are your friend. Good packs are definitely worth a look but your J34 isn't a bad pack. For about the same cost as a new better pack (assuming buying new) you could get into a super tarp and a quilt and be about 6 pounds lighter.

PA 5-0

WKR
Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 would be an instant 4+lbs in weight savings. Soaking both packs in water, u may save another 4lbs. You could sell your current pack and be in the ballpark of a new or used Icon.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, upgrade the pack. I ran a J34 for a few years, it's a tough pack but it's heavy and doesn't have load lifters that carry heavy weight well. You could buy a used Kifaru setup and sell your old pack and not be out much money. Keep an eye on the classifieds and know what you want, some great deals pop up on used gear, you just have to be quick to pull the trigger.

Not only would the pack be lighter, it will feel lighter when carrying it fully loaded since most anything will carry weight better than the Eberlestock will.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
At 80lbs, how much clothing are you bringing? How about food? What is the weight of that alone? If you break down your list a bit more it will help some of the guys critique it. Once you lay everything out its easier to put in must have piles and want piles then go from there. I agree with what others are saying about the pack as well. Pick up a used one off the classifieds and try to sell yours locally on Craig's list or FB or classifieds here as well. Good luck

OP
D

dog812

WKR
It adds up quick
10# pack
10# sleep system
10# rifle
20# 11 days of food and cooking supplies
5# boots
10# optics and camera s
10# water and filter supplies ( no water at the top)
5# clothes etc

wendigo

FNG
Your pack has to go. We use these
Revolution Lightweight Backpack for Rescue, Hunting and Packrafting

with a dry sack
Big River Dry Bag | Sea to Summit

but there are loads of other light packs available, as mentioned earlier.

Your tent is way heavy. - drop 2+ pounds
Nice light pyramid works fine.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys/mega-light-tent-BD8005070000ALL1.html

or if you want a tent, something like this will work - keep it light
Access Denied

quilt or light bag will drop about 2 pounds
Revelation - Best Canoe Camping Sleeping Bag Quilt - Backpacking Ultralight Down Quilt
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/pha...o20&dwvar_1671431_variationColor=342#start=21

For reference we stick to the 2 pounds of food pp/day.
A week long packraft trip starts at 55#, week long packraft/sheep trip is 60# + rifle.

Definitely go for a lighter pack, especially one that will fit what you carry without adding more pockets/pouches and their associated weight.

If you need warmer sleeping and don't want to buy another sleeping bag you can try placing one of those aluminum space blankets under your sleeping bag. You will be amazed at how much body heat it reflects back up into your body. Of course, test this at home first; you don't want to find out how well it does or doesn't work for you when you are on the mountain. Those sun reflectors used in cars also work well and are more durable than a mylar space blanket.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I would sell your pack and my first choice is a used Kifaru Duplex frame with the proper belt for your waist size. Yes there are other good quality packs, but I truly believe Kifaru is the best for what we do. My next choice would be a Stone Glacier. I recommend getting whichever one fits you the best and offers the bag options that work best for your style of hunting.

Remember that there is a reason these packs come so highly rated by all the guys who really get out and put the miles on. You won't regret starting with a top quality pack.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Well my pack is sold.
I don't know anything about kifaru...
I see tons of post about them.. But there is so many options and choices, where do you start.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Where are you located? There is a decent chance that there are guys close by who would let you try on their packs so you can get a feel for what you like. If you're close to me (Buckley, WA) I can lend you a pack to try for a while.