Upland road trip

TSAMP

WKR
Hey All,
Getting ready to spend a week or two on the road with my pudelpointer sleeping in my topper. Thought I'd start a thread about necessary gear to have in the truck.
Going to start with some sharpies and chickens and probably go hang with some buddies elk hunting while I'm in the neighborhood.

I've done this before but always open to hearing others feedback.

First aid
Dog aspirin
Benadryl
Coolers
Spare gun
Sun shade

What am I missing?
Was thinking about a water supp for dog since it's gonna be warm and I'm earlier than usual.

JD Jones

WKR
Dog: Mushers secret, pad protection, (inner tubes), tape, vetericyn, pliers, side dykes (in game bag) for freeing pooch from snarees/wire, short lead, stake out (I use a upside down cake pan with the stake driven through the center. Keeps dogs from kicking over water), antibiotics, couple cans wet food. I keep this stuff all in a footlocker specifically for dog care.

Tod osier

WKR
Going to be hot for the next couple or few days. I've had some good times late afternoons pass shooting chickens when the dog is too worn out and it is too hot. Have fun!

For gear... Pliers for porkies and tweezers for prickly pear. :)

I'm elk hunting with the dog now (2 year old cbr) and I've been having a tough time keeping him hydrated in the heat (no problems, but I'm not happy with his water consumption). I've taken to wet feeding with various enticements added to get water and food in him. Never had a dog eat or drink do little on a long trip.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
I've got mushers and boots he is familiar with. Good call on the pliers. I used those a fair bit last year and need to replace them.

Tod osier

WKR
If you need boots... I had a lab that was terrible for burning through his pads, the absolute best boots I found for him was a wrap of vet wrap to above the dew claw area and then one piece of gorilla tape from front of leg to top of toes, under foot and up back of leg and finished with a band around the foot and one around the leg. Worked fantastic.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
I have some Lewis dog boots. Non vented. I had issues rabbit hunting in Feb with ice slicing his pads around the nail area. These solved it and are simple on and off. Although he sounds like a Clydesdale with them on.
The cactus and Sandburs don't bother him much but I'll bring them.

Billinsd

WKR
tweezers to pull out porky quills
ONX updated and maps loaded
All my garmin collars, transmitter, InReach, software uploaed
bird shears
stake outs and sledge
electrolyte for dogs and for me
kennel fans
current meds, rattlesnake shot a month before
snake avoidance training current
dog food, dry and wet
both upland vests
phone of good and local vet
hunting regulations

You vet can load up some Benadryl in a syringe to a quick administration in the event of a snake bite. I never had to do that but carried one many years.

We have experienced tired dogs not wanting to eat, and even the ones that eat still shed weight on long trips. I think it'd be a good idea to give a can or half can of soft food along with his regular kibble each night. It encourages him to actually eat, plus he get some extra calories and hydration.

Spindrift

FNG
Depends where you’re going but my kit consists of:

Medical Stapler (carry in vest)
2 cans of pumpkin (great for severe K9 fire hoop)
Superglue (carry in vest)
Tramadol 50mg x2
Sling or means to carry wounded dog (carry in vest)
Wide spectrum antibiotics
Electrolytes
Electric shaver (cheap, AA powered)
Tweezers
Eye rinse
Multi tool (carry in vest)
K9 first aid book
Rymadil
Benadryl (vet says NOT to administer in snake bite)
Clotting sponge
Med tape (in vest)
2 meters of 5mm or similar rope (carry in vest)
Wound rinse of choice

Macintosh

WKR
Dont forget dog collar with your cell phone# on it. Best $3 you'll ever spend after you need it once. AMHIK.

Also, perhaps what the cord mentioned above is for, but I carry a couple feet of 3mm cord with a 3/4" loop knotted in one end to open a conibear trap--the larger ones you probably cant cut with side dikes unless you are carrying true bolt cutters.

WATER

stuff for cooking nice meals on the road to stay under possession limit +a way to keep meat from spoiling for as long as you'll be off the grid.

Braaap

WKR
Depends where you’re going but my kit consists of:

Medical Stapler (carry in vest)
2 cans of pumpkin (great for severe K9 fire hoop)
Superglue (carry in vest)
Tramadol 50mg x2
Sling or means to carry wounded dog (carry in vest)
Wide spectrum antibiotics
Electrolytes
Electric shaver (cheap, AA powered)
Tweezers
Eye rinse
Multi tool (carry in vest)
K9 first aid book
Rymadil
Benadryl (vet says NOT to administer in snake bite)
Clotting sponge
Med tape (in vest)
2 meters of 5mm or similar rope (carry in vest)
Wound rinse of choice
Can clarify what your vet says about Benadryl and snake bites?

Spare gps/e collar parts! I somehow managed to loose the antenna off my astro 430 handheld while grouse hunting, luckily had a spare in the truck. Also the collar antenna part as well, and a small set of screw drivers to replace! Other than that saline eye wash for washing out seeds from dogs eyes, and EMT gel for other scratches. Never hurts to have a container of greek yogurt to help ease a dogs gut.

If you need boots... I had a lab that was terrible for burning through his pads, the absolute best boots I found for him was a wrap of vet wrap to above the dew claw area and then one piece of gorilla tape from front of leg to top of toes, under foot and up back of leg and finished with a band around the foot and one around the leg. Worked fantastic.
Do you have a pic of what this looks like?

Tod osier

WKR
Do you have a pic of what this looks like?

I looked and can't find any, 'tho I know I have them. The dog I used them on had really large feet, for a lot of dogs you could probably rip the duct tape 2/3 - 1/3 lengthwise and then use the 1/3 part for the cross wraps.

If you really want to see them, I can subject the pup to me making one for him.

Spindrift

FNG
Can clarify what your vet says about Benadryl and snake bites?

Honestly, I’d like to ask him again as so don’t remember 100%. I believe it was that Benadryl won’t make a critical difference because snake venom is “leaky” and the additional Benadryl will only make a vets job tougher trying to evaluate the symptoms. Basically, if it’s going to die, Benadryl won’t make the difference and can complicate evaluations. But I’ll follow up as he was very direct in making a point about it and I’ll report what he says here.

In regard to boots, Tuff Foot spray (some folks like Mushers brand) daily for three weeks leading up to the season pays huge dividends.

Mosby

WKR
Hey All,
Getting ready to spend a week or two on the road with my pudelpointer sleeping in my topper. Thought I'd start a thread about necessary gear to have in the truck.
Going to start with some sharpies and chickens and probably go hang with some buddies elk hunting while I'm in the neighborhood.

I've done this before but always open to hearing others feedback.

First aid
Dog aspirin
Benadryl
Coolers
Spare gun
Sun shade

What am I missing?
Was thinking about a water supp for dog since it's gonna be warm and I'm earlier than usual.
I have started filtering my dogs water and will be taking a water container I got at Walmart and several pre filled water bottles with me on my trip. Reduces stomach issues on the road. Also:

- Skunk kit in case I need to give them a bath w/couple old bath towels
- wire cutters for snares
- Pepto Bismol chewable are helpful for both me and the dogs with upset stomach
- Contact information of local vets in case of emergency

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
In case dog ingests something bad/toxic, peroxide to induce vomiting and activated charcoal capsules down the gullet after that.

Tod osier

WKR
Freaking dogs, you never know what they will do to themselves on a trip... get snakebit, punctures, porkies or torn nails.

This photo from this morning. Beaver tore a nail, we found a great vet, who fixed him up.

29dlB1H.jpg