UPS lost my breasts

I'm astonished there are people who don't like wild turkey. It is the one wild game that people universally love in my experience.

To those who don't like wild turkey, where are you hunting? What are they eating? How are you cooking?

Shipping sucks!

I'll have to give wild turkey a try again, I guess. In my experience it is tough and chewy, and the flavor isn't enough to make up or the low fat content.

I'm astonished there are people who don't like wild turkey. It is the one wild game that people universally love in my experience.

To those who don't like wild turkey, where are you hunting? What are they eating? How are you cooking?
Agreed, Rokslide is normally a place of critical thinking and these seem like comments I would hear from non hunters about bear meat or sea ducks, etc. I'm guessing meat handling or lack of cooking knowledge is the issue or its a regional thing that I haven't experienced.

Unfortunately I never tried my wild turkey meat.

However, Bear meat is disgusting, and I will never hunt another bear. A small bear is ok, but a big bear is so greasy, it's inedible. But too bad I will never eat an east coast turkey, at least not this season..

Wild turkey is absolutely delicious! I killed two toms this spring and shared with several friends. Everyone loved it. The legs are tough so you gotta slow cook pressure cook them. I used the legs for taco meat on one bird and made posole with the other.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with shipping.

Wild turkey isn't my favorite, but it's not bad. My favorite way to cook it is to basically make turkey nuggets. But I cook the drumsticks in the crackpot snd make BBQ. Its good stuff.

Sorry to hear about your issues. That's my kind of luck. Lol

Schnitzel for the breasts. Get it pounded out thin, seasoned and covered in panko. Some fresh lemon squeezed over the top. Not sure you can even taste the turkey. Kinda want to try a pickle brine on it next time.

I haven't had luck with the legs/thighs either but my only attempt was pretty weak. Posole that didn't cook long enough. I'm thinking the instapot for the next one and turkey salad.

Turkey green apple breakfast sausage doesn't disappoint either.

When I’ve flown on turkey hunts, I always put my frozen turkey meat in my checked luggage. Works great and don’t have to worry about the mailing meat nonsense.

Schnitzel for the breasts. Get it pounded out thin, seasoned and covered in panko. Some fresh lemon squeezed over the top. Not sure you can even taste the turkey. Kinda want to try a pickle brine on it next time.

I haven't had luck with the legs/thighs either but my only attempt was pretty weak. Posole that didn't cook long enough. I'm thinking the instapot for the next one and turkey salad.

Instant pot is the way. I did an hour at high pressure but could have done longer even. I think 1.5 hours would be perfect. Pull the meat off the bones by hand and chop it up.

Turkey schnitzel is amazing.

The legs slow cook very well and make great taco meat. I do the same with chukar and pheasant legs. Or shred them and make pot pie.

Turkey sausage from the boned out breast and thighs is really good! Just look up Mom's Turkey Sausage and use bacon ends and pieces for your fat content. 3 Gobblers make a nice 15-20 pound batch. I cook the drum sticks in a pressure cooker and use boned out meat for soup, dumplings etc. Dumplings need a little chicken bullion to add a little richness, but they are good also.

Back