Used crew cab trucks: $12,000 cash, what to look for?

Rs3003

WKR
If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time stay with a Toyota. I'm in the same deal as you. Need a bigger cab because family is getting bigger. I'm On my 2nd Toyota. Tundra Crewmax. The reliability of Toyota speaks for itself. You have a Toyota so you know. Why change manufacturers.

In the 4 years I was working in that alignment shop, I never installed ball joints or tie rod ends on a Toyota. The Nissan's occasionally would get a tie rod, Chevy's would ball joints, the Dodge's would get ball joints and tie rods while the Fords would get everything from the frame rails down.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I would not buy either of the Ford's you mentioned after owning both. The 6.0 diesel is bar none the biggest piece of garbage to bless a 3/4 or 1ton trick. The 5.4 ford has been arguably my most problematic gas motor. That said everything I know about the new ecoboosts might change my mind about ford 1/2 tons again. Everyone seems to love them. I have a fair amount of fleet vehicles, lots of diesels and a few gassers. Do not buy a diesel unless absolutely necessary.

Of all the domestics 1/2's I've owned the order (best to worst) is rank them just on problems and fixes is chev/gm, dodge, ford.

That said I've got a titan now for a shop/errand truck and it will likely have me never buying a domestic 1/2 again. I suspect tundras are equally as good with the resale/used price to prove it. I don't own a tundra but everyone that has them loves them and seem to be problem free

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It also has no guts, so even towing my drift boat over a mountain pass is a lesson in frustration.

There is no doubt that the older Toyota trucks are not pullers in any way, even my V6. In fact, when going over mountain passes......I pull the Toyota. They're great little trucks, but they have their purposes.......and IMO towing isn't one of those.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, you dodged the coolant in the transmission issue the pre 2010's have. I love my Xterra, I've told the Ms. I'll be buried in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2006 Xterra with 65k miles on it. I bought it in 2011 with 35k miles on it. I replaced the radiator as soon as the extended warranty ran out. Its been a fantastic vehicle.

I drove a 1998 flood damaged 1500 Dodge for 232,000 miles and, it might still be running. Good truck but, it must have hated gas. I measured it in feet per gallons.

I drove a 2004 chevy silverado for 221,000 miles of rough life. Worked it hard with virtually zero problem other than a steering arm. Still going strong when I let it go.

I then drove a 2009 toyota Tacoma for 110,000 miles. Great truck but, not made for work. Basically tore it all to pieces trying to do things in it the previous two did just fine at. My fault as they simply aren't made for work. Good truck though.

Now I'm in a ford 2011 f150, chipped out and tuned to run. 140,000 plus and gets 21-22 mpg. Bought it used with 51,000 miles with upgrades already installed. So far, it's the best vehicle I've owned.

In my experience, a toyote tundra is by no means a better truck than any other. A company I worked for that had a fleet of those, told us that the Tundra's cost more to upkeep over 4 years than either the Ford's and Chevrolet's they gave employee's before the tundra's. My buddies who have/do own them will testify the same. There is good and bad in all if them. And, its simply a gamble whether you buy new or used. Good luck and God Bless

When you say chipped out, are you talking about a diesel? I know people are always running chips in diesels but didn’t realize you could also run them on gas burners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for WV but I do know you can definitely 'chip' gas rigs. EFI live is an amazing tool, and there are off the shelf tuners as well. I only have experience with EFI live on GM products; gas & diesel.

bobinmi

WKR
I've got a 6.0 in my Excursion and have had zero issues with it whatsoever in the 25000 that I have owned it. That being said, the first guy to own it studded it, did an EGR delete and put a more robust oil cooler in it. Only thing I have done is switched to 185 amp alternator runs like a top. If you like power and mods the 6.0 is a great engine and it responds very well to a tuner. If you want a turtle that will run forever go with the 7.3.