Used exo mountain k3 or new k4 (I ended up with a used K3)

jbowlbs

FNG
I’m sure this has probably been asked already but I’m looking at getting my first real hunting pack and I’m torn between looking for a used k3 4800 or the new k4 when they come out.

Longest hunt I’ll do this year will most likely be a 4 to 5 day high buck hunt.

Any suggestions on which route to go?

jofes

WKR
After running the k4 proto and having ran a k3, i would say if you haven't ran a top tier backpack before get a used k3. Should be cheaper at the moment and you won't lose much if you sell it to upgrade next year.
Both a great.

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
After running the k4 proto and having ran a k3, i would say if you haven't ran a top tier backpack before get a used k3. Should be cheaper at the moment and you won't lose much if you sell it to upgrade next year.
Both a great.
That’s definitely what I’m leaning towards. I hunted all last year with an osprey backpacking pack and unfortunately never punched a tag but it could’ve got rough trying to pack meat out on that.

JNDEER

WKR
Keep in mind for some the K3 hip belt slipped under load and basically forced the lumbar pad to ride directly on top of your butt. Not everyone, but more had this problem then with the K2 (my personal conclusion).

If you don't need a tall frame and don't want to risk the k3 fit on you sliding then my 2cents would be a K2 or if you have the $$ get the K4. I have owned EVERY exo pack and believe after what issues I assume they had with the number of people having belt slippage with the K3, that the K4 won't have that issue at all. Another great reason to support EXO- always looking to make the perfect product that works for everyone!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure this has probably been asked already but I’m looking at getting my first real hunting pack and I’m torn between looking for a used k3 4800 or the new k4 when they come out.

Longest hunt I’ll do this year will most likely be a 4 to 5 day high buck hunt.

Any suggestions on which route to go?
Where are you located? If you're in Western WA, you can swing by and try them both if you like.

Rob5589

WKR
K4. More belts sizes, more comfortable; more frame sizes which means a better fit. Some new features that may appeal to you. I have a K2 frame with K3 bags and belt and it's great. But I'd love to try the 4.

duckhuntr

FNG
They are not.

I've not had an EXO before, Has this always been the case when they update frames/bags? That kind of sucks to not have compatibility with future updates, but I do really like the looks of their packs though.

Rob5589

WKR
I've not had an EXO before, Has this always been the case when they update frames/bags? That kind of sucks to not have compatibility with future updates, but I do really like the looks of their packs though.
Previous generations were mostly compatible. The 4 is all new. Only Exo knows what the future may bring.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Until K4, most everything has been compatible across our previous generations. When we started working on what is now K4, we started with a complete blank slate and wanted to build the best system possible, not just an updated/improved version of what we have done in the past. Only after we met that goal did we consider trying to make things compatible, but at the end of the day there are just too many changes between K4 and previous generations to make them work together.

duckhuntr

FNG
Until K4, most everything has been compatible across our previous generations. When we started working on what is now K4, we started with a complete blank slate and wanted to build the best system possible, not just an updated/improved version of what we have done in the past. Only after we met that goal did we consider trying to make things compatible, but at the end of the day there are just too many changes between K4 and previous generations to make them work together.
Thanks. Fair enough, and I was mostly wondering since I may try putting a used system together to try first.

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
Hey Mark, question for you. Do you plan on marking down any k3 bags or the accessories for them once you release the K4?