UT Oquirrh Stansbury Late Muzzleloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I drew the late muzzleloader general season tag Nov. 3-11 for the Oquirrh-Stansbury unit. My dad and I rifle-hunted this unit on horseback when I was a kid. This was about 20 years ago and much has changed as far as mule deer and fire activity goes. The biggest buck I have still ever seen to this day was in this unit. A clean miss at 250 yards. Well before laser rangefinders were common. Held too high. Still haunts me.

Anyway, this hunt has only 10 people hunting deer on it. In areas where there are elk I fully expect an army of muzzleloader elk hunters. The general season rifle runs to the 31 this year so those guys should have some good success. I have hunted both sides Pole Canyon area on the Oquirrh's and the wilderness on the Stansbury range. We have also spent some time in the Ophir area during September for when my dad drew that elk tag before it went to shit. If anyone has experience with where the deer like to head once the rut starts or even just general information on how the unit is going these days feel free to message me. I will not have horses this time around as ours were killed in an accident in August. I do however have access to a side by side and regularly hunt wilderness areas by backpack 10-15 miles from the truck. I am in decent shape. My plans right now are to start by scoping out areas where the does were 20 years ago and go from there. I have a bull elk and a half a bison in the freezer so I can be fairly picky and if I don't see what I want I will be fine with tag soup. Unless someone in the area knows a family in need of meat. Feel free to message me about that as well.

hey, how did the hunt turn out? was wondering if you want to swap unit info, i have my muzzy hunt this year was wondering how it looked for you.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just to close the loop. I had a ton of fun on this hunt. Saw lots of bucks but it took some time to find any mature deer. Ended up taking a previously wounded buck 3x4 the second to last day. More area to cover than it looks and it took awhile to find the mature deer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll be hunting the general muzzleloader this year. How was the access into Pole canyon, did you walk from the general parking area, or was there a passable road to the mouth of the canyon?
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.