Utility Trailers for hunting camp

Titan_Bow

WKR
Let's see pics and maybe get some ideas from those who are using a utility trailer of some sort for hunting camp purposes.

Here is mine. Its an M101a2 Army trailer. I picked it up about 5 or 6 years ago from a government auction. I paid 475 for it, but had to drive from Colorado to Arkansas to pick it up. It didn't have very much rust on it, I sanded and prepped it, painted the whole thing with Rustoleum implement paint. I made the bows for the canvas out of conduit, and made metal brackets to hold them securely. I had Paul's Canvas do the black canvas cover on it. Its got a clear window on the back, nice buckles to roll up the back flap, and he re-enforced all the areas that need it. He did a really great job. Most recently, I made a rack out of super strut, so I could carry my canoe on top. I also added a 100ah deep cycle marine battery and 750w inverter. I wired them to a kill switch so I dont have to reach into the trailer to turn the inverter on and/or connect the battery. I also wired an all weather 110v outlet on the outside of the trailer, so I can just walk up, plug in an extension cord or lights or whatever, then just throw the switch, and Viola! Tomorrow I am going to plumb in a couple of propane quick disconnects, so I can easily fuel my camp stove and/or a Mr. Buddy heater.
I still have some things I want to do with it. I plan on installing a 12v water pump and a faucet for running water, and I would like to get a gimble for skinning. For family camping, the plan is the trailer hauls our big family tent, chairs, bathroom tent, all the comforts of home, etc. and then the trailer has power, propane, and running water.
Let's see those utility trailer, cargo trailers, or overland trailers that you guys are using. What are some useful tips or things you've discovered along the way?

1625454627412.png
1625454663055.png
1625454720725.png

1625454815396.png

1625454839286.png

6x12’ converted Cargo trailer with lift. Wife loves it so it keeps me happy when we go out.
dbd0bfd4d9d4f4e85e3d9cefc895e224.jpg

efe1a582618a9e500b615f776c8abe7c.jpg

ddf5336e63c981aed9d99c0dc82fb221.jpg

400dcaa70c5a79e72070cbf8796d6175.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job. Any pictures of what it looked like before you refurbished it?

Voyageur

WKR
@Titan_Bow
Nice pictures. So, does the canvas on your trailer stay "up" during travel? If so, have you had any problem with wind flap wearing holes at certain points?
Thanks.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
@Titan_Bow
Nice pictures. So, does the canvas on your trailer stay "up" during travel? If so, have you had any problem with wind flap wearing holes at certain points?
Thanks.
Do you mean the back flap or the full canvas in more general terms? The back flap is a zippered flap, so when I travel, its zipped down and secured. The full canvas is meant to stay on while traveling. It's reinforced in areas where it contacts the bows and in the corners. Its tight enough that it doesn't really flap around or anything

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks @Titan_Bow for the detailed reply. I was referring to the full canvas cover.
Your reply made me think of another question...how does the canvas handle traveling down the highway in heavy rain? How wet does it get inside?
I'm asking all these questions because I've got a 5X10 trailer I've considered adding a canvas canopy to.
Thanks.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks @Titan_Bow for the detailed reply. I was referring to the full canvas cover.
Your reply made me think of another question...how does the canvas handle traveling down the highway in heavy rain? How wet does it get inside?
I'm asking all these questions because I've got a 5X10 trailer I've considered adding a canvas canopy to.
Thanks.

I live in a pretty dry environment, I’ve never really had it more than just an occasional shower. It’s made from Sunbrella fabric, which is supposed to be 100% waterproof. So far the little bit of rain I have exposed it to, it’s proven to be. Not sure I would rely on it in Alaska or the PNW though, LOL.

Finch

WKR
Impressive! Some are paying top dollar for basically the same thing.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
My son decided to take a four week around western United States camping trip and has

a little Toyota pick up and wanted a a nice light weight trailer to Pull so we put this together. 25 gallon water tank, pressure pump, on demand water heater, propane quick connect for water heater , camp grill, covered storage in bed with a roll out floor. Then monstalined the exterior to match the truck. Fun project.

Attachments

• 51B7147B-C9E5-4E41-B5BF-CDBE0EDF894E.jpeg
    51B7147B-C9E5-4E41-B5BF-CDBE0EDF894E.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 4C24B1C9-B78F-4050-AAD4-471877F0656F.jpeg
    4C24B1C9-B78F-4050-AAD4-471877F0656F.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 103
That’s pretty badass. Would be cool to have a removable top to the storage to fit a wheeler in it too!!! Is it aluminum sides, steel sheet or plywood?

My son decided to take a four week around western United States camping trip and has

a little Toyota pick up and wanted a a nice light weight trailer to Pull so we put this together. 25 gallon water tank, pressure pump, on demand water heater, propane quick connect for water heater , camp grill, covered storage in bed with a roll out floor. Then monstalined the exterior to match the truck. Fun project.

That is bad ass. Can you post a pic of it road ready?

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
That’s pretty badass. Would be cool to have a removable top to the storage to fit a wheeler in it too!!! Is it aluminum sides, steel sheet or plywood?

Sheet steel sides. It had a plank floor so we overlaid it with 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal and sealed with Vulcum. We welded up the top out of 1/8 Aluminum and then put l.e.d. lighting on the interior along with lights on all 4 sides exterior that are all individually switched. And it sure would be nice to be able to tote a 4 wheeler on there somehow, maybe time to remodel!