value of a goat cape?

tuffcity

WKR
Any one ever bought or sold a mtn goat cape? Curious what they might go for. I currently have 2 half mounts and one life size in the freezer and I'm toying with the idea of selling the half mounts to help fund the life size. All 3 have been soft tanned so no real hurry... just a thought at this point.

RC

Stid2677

WKR
I have sold a couple full goat capes and depending on quality bring north of 1K to 1500. Not sure what a 1/2 cape gets, but taxidermy.net is the place to advertise them. Value goes up into spring because the season is over and the capes are coming back from the tannery and many don't survive the tanning process or were too badly damaged in falls, caping etc...

Many goat hunts are once in a life time so some are willing to pay a high price for a quality cape, and capes from colder places taken later in the season have better fur and the fur is a major part of a goat trophy. Might even be able to trade them with a taxidermist for your full mount or get credit towards the cost.

Steve

OP
tuffcity

tuffcity

WKR
Thanks Steve! Both the half mounts are late October goats and have pretty nice hair. My taxi isn't a full time guy and wasn't interested in taking them in trade. Were those green hides you sold?

RC

Stid2677

WKR
Goats and sheep command good prices, just not that many for sale. Deer and black bears not so much.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I also suggest looking at Taxidermy.net to see what they sell for. I recently sold a dall sheep cape on that site for ~ twice what I could have gotten selling it locally. It was worth my time and paid for my Tikka rifle :)

I've got a long haired November goat cape salted away from this year, so this is good to know. Still trying to decide if I want to mount it or sell it.

I sold one last year. Long haired late October goat, fleshed and salted, not tanned. It sold for 1800$ on Taxidermy.net.

BRWNBR

WKR
there are alot of goats for sale out there right now, i've seen folks asking for as little as 600 for lifesize billies. most hide sales this year seem to be down quite a bit. i know a few fur dealers with a half dozen or more goat hides just taking up space and usually they have none. maybe after a few runs of hides get back from the tanneries business will pick up. but cabela's is doing smaller footprint stores now and buying less mounts. trickle effect, slows alot of other businesses down.