Vancouver; advice on dates

TMA805

FNG
Vancouver Island. Have the following options date wise in 2025
April 27-May 3
May 4th-May 10
May 11th-May 17

From initial research seems that rut is closer to end of May or early June. Curious y'all's take as to any pros vs cons on any of the above. Thanks.

Hey there. I live on the Mainland. it warms earlier down here than northern BC. I'd lean to the earlier dates as I'd imagine you'd be getting green up a few weeks before that. I hunt 2nd 3rd week of April blackbear typically (in a different climate in the Okanogan) but i'd say Van Island gets warmer quicker than where i go.

I grew up and hunted VI for half my life. All three dates will be good, but I would pick May 4-10 as the boars will be starting to wander, looking for love as well as getting the feed bag on and they will not be rubbing yet. It will also depend on what type of winter, as that will decide on their movement and where they will be during those dates.

But you can't really go wrong with any of those dates.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
Great info guys. thanks. Was wondering about when best time is for big boars, as to early (as you indicated they wandering) vs later towards rut. Also any differentiation b/w seeing qty of boars vs the bigger ones

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Im a Vancouver Island resident and bear hunter.

Typically don't see rut behavior until the very end of May into June.

My personal favourite time to hunt is 2nd to 3rd week of May , your third choice (11-17 may).

Usually not too hot yet.
Usually not buggy at all.
Bears will be out and about, regardless of what the weather/spring has been like.
Im a meat hunter but hides are still in good shape.

I typically see 8-10 bears a day during this time frame. That said, the last couple years saw far more. As far as big bears, that's area dependant but like any hunt, if you want a real cranker, be prepared to let allot of bears walk.

gerry35

WKR
I'm farther north on the mainland but will agree with the rest who say that you'll see bigger bears later in the spring typically. I would suggest the week of May 11-17 as the best choice. Up here we don't see many until around May 14th and then they are everywhere. Down there it should be in full swing earlier.

Grizzle

FNG
The last few years I have been seeing them rub earlier than normal so if a rug is your goal earlier could be better. Inland bears the rut will help you later on finding big boars. If you're hunting coastal bears like I enjoy, the big boars claim the beaches first so I usually start second half of april.

OP
TMA805

TMA805

FNG
Thanks everyone. We settled on May 11-17.
Now onto cartridge selection. Figure shots won't that far ...(sub 300)?
Guessing 30 cal (vs 7mm or less)....correct? I can go 308win or 300WSM.

gerry35

WKR
We have used everything from 260 Rem all the way up to 375 Ruger so any good deer round will work well. Just make sure you double lung them and you will be fine. I'm partial to the 300 WSM but the 308 or a 7mm is great too. Pick the gun you like the best and rock on.