Velociradar vs. Labradar LX vs. Garmin Xero

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
In nearly every measure, the Garmin is better than any product LR, Caldwell, or Magnetospeed has out right now. They have beaten them all. So you’re objectively wrong. But that’s okay, you’re free to be wrong.

Sure, some of those companies are pushing upcoming products — and those may be good for all we know.

But the Caldwell was announced 3 years ago and still isn’t out. And LR had virtually no improvements for the better part of a decade. So I’m personally choosing not to hang my hat on those companies. If they smash it and outperform Garmin, then I’ll happily buy one.
Don’t see how you could proclaim victory for Garmin when the Labradar LX and the Caldwell Velociraptor are not yet available for a comparison. But I do think that competition for the radar chronographs will just benefit everyone. We will end up with better products that are more reliable, affordable and feature rich. I like the Labradar LX because it is heavier, has the buttons below the screen where they should be, and the screen is much better than the Garmin.

The Velociradar has a larger case than the Garmin Zero or the LR LX but not too much to be in the way it seems. The major advantage of the Velociradar is that it will look downrange and display the BC. Generally the Velociradar seems more feature rich. I like the color screen over the Garmin black and white. The Garmin and the LR LX can be mounted on rifles.

atmat

WKR
Don’t see how you could proclaim victory for Garmin when the Labradar LX and the Caldwell Velociraptor are not yet available for a comparison.
Because they are the victor right now. That could all change, who knows. But neither LR nor Caldwell currently have a product out that competes.

The major advantage of the Velociradar is that it will look downrange and display the BC.
I don’t see the value of down range velocity — or at least not as a significant advantage. You’re still going to have to true your system out to long range, at which point you’ll have your velocity at all distances anyway.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Having used the garmin for a while now, I have absolutely no desire for a better screen. It displays what I need it to, and the phone app works flawlessly. Not sure sure how LR can improve on it and get me to switch

I have a gen1 LabRadar. From what I’ve experienced, it doesn’t track much past 100 yards for velocity. This really is only beneficial to confirm a ballistic profile (to a small degree), and it comes in super handy for my arrow set up and building an accurate sight tape. But other than that I wouldn’t say it’s a show stopper.

It’s not an intuitive product at all and the app is clunky. It is annoying that just walking down to pull arrows at 50 yards away I’ll lose connectivity. I have to leave my phone at the radar. I don’t know what the Garmin app’s memory is like, but I can only look at the 2-3 most recent shot strings on my LR app.

I don’t plan to spend the money on a new chrono, but I do like the looks of the Garmin.

ljalberta

WKR
I have a gen1 LabRadar. From what I’ve experienced, it doesn’t track much past 100 yards for velocity. This really is only beneficial to confirm a ballistic profile (to a small degree), and it comes in super handy for my arrow set up and building an accurate sight tape. But other than that I wouldn’t say it’s a show stopper.

It’s not an intuitive product at all and the app is clunky. It is annoying that just walking down to pull arrows at 50 yards away I’ll lose connectivity. I have to leave my phone at the radar. I don’t know what the Garmin app’s memory is like, but I can only look at the 2-3 most recent shot strings on my LR app.

I don’t plan to spend the money on a new chrono, but I do like the looks of the Garmin.
I think Garmins internal storage is about 1,000 shot strings.

As others have noted, I don’t see the advantage of 100 yard down range velocity and bc calculation. This is only your top end bc, and as others have noted, you still need to true up for longer ranges.

I think Garmins internal storage is about 1,000 shot strings.

As others have noted, I don’t see the advantage of 100 yard down range velocity and bc calculation. This is only your top end bc, and as others have noted, you still need to true up for longer ranges.
You’re saying you can view ~1k data sets through the app as long as you have a wifi or cellular data connection? That’s incredibly impressive.

ljalberta

WKR
You’re saying you can view ~1k data sets through the app as long as you have a wifi or cellular data connection? That’s incredibly impressive.
Actually, it appears I was mistaken. The unit itself is 50strings of 100 shots can be stored before it needs to sync with the App.

I don’t know if there is a limit to the amount of shot strings you can save on the App. I had the number 1,000 in my head, but now I can’t figure out where it came from. So I wouldn’t trust that.

vj88

FNG

How are you using it to build/determine your sight tapes?

How are you using it to build/determine your sight tapes?
I use it in conjunction with Archer’s Advantage on a desktop and more or less confirm projected speeds. Is it necessary, absolutely not. Does it increase confidence in my set up, yes.

Actually, it appears I was mistaken. The unit itself is 50strings of 100 shots can be stored before it needs to sync with the App.

I don’t know if there is a limit to the amount of shot strings you can save on the App. I had the number 1,000 in my head, but now I can’t figure out where it came from. So I wouldn’t trust that.
Well, 50 strings of 100 shots is still super helpful.

wyosam

WKR
I frequently see people talk about LR missing shots. I’ve put thousands of rounds past mine over that last 5 years, and doubt I’ve had 5 fail to capture aside from forgetting to turn it on. I use the internal trigger for shorter barrels, and generally an external for longer barrels so I don’t have to put it on a full size tripod instead of on the bench. I like that the Garmin is small, but I’m going with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
I frequently see people talk about LR missing shots. I’ve put thousands of rounds past mine over that last 5 years, and doubt I’ve had 5 fail to capture aside from forgetting to turn it on. I use the internal trigger for shorter barrels, and generally an external for longer barrels so I don’t have to put it on a full size tripod instead of on the bench. I like that the Garmin is small, but I’m going with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.
Totally makes sense. I don’t know I’d dump an LR for the Garmin if I had one. But having to switch triggers to catch bullets isn’t as easy as sitting the tiny Garmin out once and watching it catch every single bullet without fail.

Weldor

WKR
In nearly every measure, the Garmin is better than any product LR, Caldwell, or Magnetospeed has out right now. They have beaten them all. So you’re objectively wrong. But that’s okay, you’re free to be wrong.

Sure, some of those companies are pushing upcoming products — and those may be good for all we know.

But the Caldwell was announced 3 years ago and still isn’t out. And LR had virtually no improvements for the better part of a decade. So I’m personally choosing not to hang my hat on those companies. If they smash it and outperform Garmin, then I’ll happily buy one.
I agree with ATMAT, Caldwell hasn't released the thing for at least 3 years. I lost interest for sure. Did pick up a nice Labradar though. Ton's of them for sale. Just seen one with all the gadets for $250

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin is king until proven otherwise. It’s easy to use, compact, and works every time. I never understood the purpose of down range velocities from the LR. Most likely not smart enough to do anything with it.

Lugging the LR around and setting it up got old real quick. Wires everywhere was annoying. Push a couple buttons on the Xero and it’s ready to go and the App works great compared to the LR app. I’m still on the original battery charge and I have had it for two months. Hopefully I won’t need to buy another chronograph for a long time.

mpwolf

FNG
I have had my LR since 2017. It was always pretty inconsistent until I got the external trigger, which helped quite a bit, but still didn't make it completely reliable. I'm surprised to hear that some units seem to be much more consistent at capturing shots than others. I'm not going to replace my LR right away, but I'm very interested to see how the new units do over the next little while.