Velocity

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
How Many FPS should I expect to loose going from 24 inch tubes to 20 inch in the 300 short mag class of rounds are you loosing so much might as well go with the 308

cgasner1

WKR
Been debating on chopping my 300 win down to 18” and dropping for 190 to the 180 elite to
Make up for loss of velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a model seven in 300 Saum can’t seem to get it to group to my satisfaction was thinking about sending it to HCA for a carbon barrel ,the reason I started the thread

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve got a model seven in 300 Saum can’t seem to get it to group to my satisfaction was thinking about sending it to HCA for a carbon barrel ,the reason I started the thread

What powder/bullet combo have you tried? I've got a Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM and it has shot 140 and 160 grain Partitions/Accubonds with equal accuracy.

dkime

WKR

Hunted this season with my seven in 300 Saum 178 eldx, H4350 (60-61gr but my mind is failing me currently) seated to feed from the internal box. Consistently around 5/8”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t hand load so factory stuff only, would like to go with carbon wrapped barrel to cut some weight. I’m sure it would help to bed the stock and do some tuning but I’ve had bad luck with gunsmiths in my neck of the woods. Anyone know of a good shop in the central Georgia area would really like to be able to take this one to the talkeetnas in 2021

I would bet that a factory m7 barrel is lighter than a carbon barrel of the same length. Primary benefit of carbon barrels to me is to have muzzle threads that are bigger than what you could get on a steel barrel of the same weight. Otherwise I’d just get a lighter contour in steel and save your money.

Last edited:
OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
In a perfect world I would like to get to 7.5 pounds with a 22 inch barrel a z3 3x10 with BRH with a brake just need someone that can do it. Really don’t know of any smiths around here that can that I trust anyway thanks for the replies