Versatile hunting dog?

KurtR

WKR
@KurtR I’m a lab guy through and through but I’ve only seen one chessie hunt and it was a stud plus a hell of a watch dog so I can’t speak to their abilities past that.

I do know a lot of some of the best killers in a part of the country loaded with them and they all run labs. As stated by Chuck there is general belief around here that Chessies have bad temperaments and less a knock on their prowess.

Anyway, the real reason for my post: I would propose someone creates a dog game like Chuck has suggested. That would be way more interesting to me than an obedience contest with a hunting theme. I’d probably travel to see it.

Don’t get me wrong, you trial guys do unbelievable work and I am always impressed when I see a dog trained and ran by a true pro, but the sport… not for me. I want to see a dog chase a 150 yard crippled mark coming back to getting sent past a dead bird on a blind in which I’m only kinda sure where the bird is. Get the dog in the area and let it hunt on its own for 10 minutes and come back proud. That shit is special.
Most master and finished dogs will do that. Did it with geese today. One sailed sent dog on him past the dead one as he is coming back another flock is coming . Whistle sit 250 yards out tell him to lay down. Flock comes in kill two more one sails 150. Bring him back run a blind on the sailer and then pick up the two dead ones.

692C8019-70C5-4306-AB4E-59E5815299F1.jpeg

Most master and finished dogs will do that. Did it with geese today. One sailed sent dog on him past the dead one as he is coming back another flock is coming . Whistle sit 250 yards out tell him to lay down. Flock comes in kill two more one sails 150. Bring him back run a blind on the sailer and then pick up the two dead ones.

View attachment 450664
I’ve seen it done enough times to know it’s awesome and seen it not work out enough to know it’s special when it does.

Sounds like you had a good morning.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t get me wrong, you trial guys do unbelievable work and I am always impressed when I see a dog trained and ran by a true pro, but the sport… not for me. I want to see a dog chase a 150 yard crippled mark coming back to getting sent past a dead bird on a blind in which I’m only kinda sure where the bird is. Get the dog in the area and let it hunt on its own for 10 minutes and come back proud. That shit is special.
Have you looked at what is tested in the NAVHDA Invitational? Pretty close to that at parts. Between the Utility Duck Search the Invitational double mark and blind, it covers almost exactly that.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of the day, there are a lot of breeds that can make great hunting dogs, so pick a breed that matches your interests and go hunt happily with it. Each breed brings a slightly different flavor to the hunt and it can be pretty special when you are able to put the strengths of the breed to use.

But, the NAVHDA UT and Invitational already does pretty much just what you're describing Banded_spooney. It takes a lot to get a line of dogs that will readily produce dogs capable of UT, and it's a lot of work to get them to the versatile champion level. There are several versatile breeds discussed in this thread that regularly do just that...and they ain't labs or chessies.

Spindrift

FNG
Ditto this.
Coming in late on this thread. So adding my .02. I spent a few months researching gun dogs, since I was in SC and would mostly hunt doves, ducks, and quail. I settled on a Boykin Spaniel. Boykins are smaller 35-40lbs. A lot of power in such a small package if trained well. Great swimmers (some folks call them swamp poodles) and did well on hot dove fields in SC to snowing pheasant hunts in Ohio.

I think labs are great but they are too large for my situation at the time, GSP's required more space than I could give. I also looked at Weimaraner's and almost went with a Vizsla.

I trained my Boykin (first one) after deciding against sending it off. I learned more about being a dog owner and am applying that to my second Boykin pup now. I've seen folks get finished dogs back from breeders and the owners struggle to work them as if they are learning ISO controls on an excavator. Not that I wouldn't send a dog off in the future, but knowing what I know now the process requires training the owner. Almost like there should be two training curriculums, one for the dog and one for the owner.

Eventually I will have a duel threat pointer/flusher. After reading this thread I will certainly look into a Griff.

Again just my opinion. I have to represent the Boykin owners out there and enjoyed the input from the Griffon community.

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for six years to get my wife to trade her Shitzu in on a Boykin. I love those dogs.

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for six years to get my wife to trade her Shitzu in on a Boykin. I love those dogs.
I have traveled this path before. Your journey is far from over, but these challenges you must face alone. Godspeed on your quest...
lol...

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
1663001966454.png
Quail in hand.
1663002051475.png
Duck
1663002136016.png
She weighs 40 pounds and is a great dog and family pet besides a hunter. She flushes upland birds such as quail, grouse, and pheasants and hence the name she also hunts ducks and geese. Hazel is really smart and has a great personality. I'd get another "Toller" in a heart beat. She's a great retriever also and really searches for downed birds.

Attachments

• 1663002013100.png
    1663002013100.png
    548.2 KB · Views: 8

LOL In my house it’s the complete opposite. My rule is no ‘do nothing dogs’ but, I do cave and we have a Jack Russell beagle mix that I really love as a lap dog and my wife does as well. He is a sturdy fella at 20 lbs and can handle the rough housing antics of my other dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a self confessed Boykin hater. I'm from SC and I've spent plenty of time hunting over them, including one of the better ones in the country.

My opinion, they're spastic, they don't excel at anything except for maybe hot dove fields, they aren't as durable/tough/cold weather tolerant, and they don't have stamina.

If all someone is going to do with them includes dove hunts, easy duck hunts where only a few birds are killed, and tame quail hunts ... A Boykin is a great fit. Anything past that and it's a half measure solution.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party on this thread - I have hunted with a decent number of breeds but am not an expert. My Small Munsterlander is a rock star compared to almost all of the dogs owned by my friends - one friend has a really exceptional dog that stands out, but the only SM in the bunch tends to overperform consistently.
Cold-weather Waterfowl, Upland in the warm or in heavy snow, long retrieves - recently impressed with some of her retrieves of birds where the scent is fairly old.
Family loves that she can completely mellow out in the house; and then when it's game time...if you have feathers, you are in trouble.