Vortex has no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinoDino

FNG
I'll start this thread by saying I know nothing of optics. Hence the reason when I was asked to buy a Vortex scope for target archery I went for a pricier one thinking it's a solid investment in a quality glass ( lol) . Everything became reality when I tried to sell my 2 months old scope. Brand new units at 50% off everywhere ( Ebay, Offerup, CL, here) with lightly used items being 60% off made me realize I was a fool paying full price. I started asking how come Vortex products are so discounted. Someone on archerytalk told me 1st responders get 40% off and archery coaches and not only can get them at 50% with no tax. No wonder the market is flooded and everyone and their mom is selling a Vortex product.
I eventually sold mine but it was not easy. Of course I took a 50% hit but I got rid of it.
I do feel silly paying so much on a glass that fogs up when I couldve had a Swarovski ATS 65 HD + eye piece for the same price

Rob5589

WKR
Curious what it was you were selling. But you're correct, Vortex has a lot of discounts available making the resale market a poor value for many buyers.

It sounds like you're more mad that you paid full price for something that some people don't. Selling anything used nowadays is tough. I for one buy them for the warranty coupled with the quality.
Yeah. Because most sellers bathe it in gold before selling. Or, at least the price indicates that.

jimh406

WKR
I have two Vortex spotting scopes, but I didn't pay full price for either. One I bought used. Neither were free, so I think they have some value.

Why were you asked to buy a particular brand for target archery?

Second question, even a low end Vortex shouldn't be fogging up. What did Vortex say?

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of people bash on vortex. But I have nothing but good things to say about all the vortex optics I own. I’ve had some pieces for years and still performs like the day I bought it. I’m sorry you haven’t had the same luck.
I believe that no matter what product you buy some people will have had bad experiences with it.

atmat

WKR
They have value; just not nearly as much as they cost new. That said, I’d never own one.

It's a decent glass with a good warranty. I have and have sold some Vortex.
The market needs optics at different price points not every one can afford alpha glass.
I never had one fog up that is odd IMO. Vortex would repair/replace it.

JjamesIII

WKR
I'll start this thread by saying I know nothing of optics. Hence the reason when I was asked to buy a Vortex scope for target archery I went for a pricier one thinking it's a solid investment in a quality glass ( lol) . Everything became reality when I tried to sell my 2 months old scope. Brand new units at 50% off everywhere ( Ebay, Offerup, CL, here) with lightly used items being 60% off made me realize I was a fool paying full price. I started asking how come Vortex products are so discounted. Someone on archerytalk told me 1st responders get 40% off and archery coaches and not only can get them at 50% with no tax. No wonder the market is flooded and everyone and their mom is selling a Vortex product.
I eventually sold mine but it was not easy. Of course I took a 50% hit but I got rid of it.
I do feel silly paying so much on a glass that fogs up when I couldve had a Swarovski ATS 65 HD + eye piece for the same price
Most everything can be bought well below msrp. I never pay retail. Shop the sales and be patient or get last year’s model. Vortex seems to be hit or miss for some on quality. Personally, they all have been good to great for me, especially considering the discounts 😉. Am I expecting night force level of performance- no, but I am also not throwing that level of investment at it. An incremental increases in performance just for the “what if/end of the world situations”happen. I hit steel fine to 1200 yards on the same stages guys are doing with the boujee brands. I’ve yet to send one of the vortex scopes back, I’ve cranked on them a lot. Eventually, I may get a NF one day, but not for the retained resale value.

87TT

WKR
I had/have a pair of Crossfires that I bought 10 years ago. I am hard on stuff but they have been able to take everything I could dish out. My wife has them now and uses them to watch birds. I have three sets of binos and a spotter plus several rifle scopes. All have been great They replaced the eyepiece on my razor spotter and sent me new set of caps for my scope after I lost one at the range. I can't see paying more for a scope or spotter than I paid for my used truck.

OP
B

BinoDino

FNG
It sounds like you're more mad that you paid full price for something that some people don't. Selling anything used nowadays is tough. I for one buy them for the warranty coupled with the quality.
you are correct. I value something based of reselling value. That's my trade, that's what I thought I was good at ..before getting the Vortex.

The coach recommended only Vortex. I believe he was getting kickbacks from them. Most likely he was , seeing how other coaches told me they can get it for 50% brand new and I made my purchase through the coach. I did receive a brand new product but the transaction was through a middle man.
Yes, I'm replacing the coach as well:)

OP
B

BinoDino

FNG
Well, if you sold it for 50% and could have bought it for 50% then it held it's value great. You just paid too much.
I paid retail. But I see what you are saying. I'm looking at swarovski 2010 sts/ats model sells for as much as a 2022 model and is retail or close to

Status
Not open for further replies.