Vortex over Swaro? Am I high?

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this in another thread but I'll mention my experience again, with an update.

I did the same exact comparison as the OP did back in November. Was impressed enough with the UHD's optically that I ordered a set last month.

They lasted TWO MINUTES while testing in my living room. Literally, diopter set, near focus, far focus, "click". Then suddenly nothing would focus on the right side.

To their credit, Vortex offered to make it right but I declined due to: a) I had a hunt starting on the 27th and was nervous that the replacements would not make it due to the Christmas holiday and close timing. b) I was, frankly, shocked by the failure and left with zero confidence in the reliability of the product.

After this fiasco I was offered a loaner set of SLC's by two different people (one being Robby Denning, despite being someone I've never met 🙏) for my AZ deer hunt. I ended up spending about a week behind the 15's on my tripod. To me they don't quite have the "wow" factor that my 10x50 EL's do but they were frankly a pleasure to use in all lighting conditions and distances. I'm now the happy owner of a used pair of SLC's.

Attachments

• IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 45
Make sure before testing any binocular you adjust the diopter to your eye. Otherwise, you can't truly evaluate that binocular. I never see anyone in the store adjusting the diopter. The representative hands them the binocular and they start looking around. Just a tip. FWIW.

Great point. Its amazing how many people still dont know to do this after they have purchased their glass too...

I posted this in another thread but I'll mention my experience again, with an update.

I did the same exact comparison as the OP did back in November. Was impressed enough with the UHD's optically that I ordered a set last month.

They lasted TWO MINUTES while testing in my living room. Literally, diopter set, near focus, far focus, "click". Then suddenly nothing would focus on the right side.

To their credit, Vortex offered to make it right but I declined due to: a) I had a hunt starting on the 27th and was nervous that the replacements would not make it due to the Christmas holiday and close timing. b) I was, frankly, shocked by the failure and left with zero confidence in the reliability of the product.

After this fiasco I was offered a loaner set of SLC's by two different people (one being Robby Denning, despite being someone I've never met 🙏) for my AZ deer hunt. I ended up spending about a week behind the 15's on my tripod. To me they don't quite have the "wow" factor that my 10x50 EL's do but they were frankly a pleasure to use in all lighting conditions and distances. I'm now the happy owner of a used pair of SLC's.

welcome to the cult

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
We have set both pair up side by side at rifle matches and while the vortex is a nice pair of binos, no one was picking them over the swaros

I’ve been using Vortex for as long as they have been out... I stick to the higher end stuff but I’ve yet to have an issue. Maybe I’m just lucky.

I did get a pair used that had some minor scratches in them which the seller didn’t disclose. Figured what the hell and sent them in... I got back all new lenses, serviced, purged and focused to factory spec. I don’t think that would happen with Swarovski.

Say what you want about Vortex, the peace of mind you get with their warranty is no joke.

If I’m going to spend my hard earned cash on an optic, I like knowing I’m taken care of if shit happens. But then again I’m not an optic purist, so YMMV.

As for the glass, I can’t say as I haven’t looked through both to comment. But the difference in quality seems to diminish the more you spend. I can tell the difference between a $300 and $1000 optic. Much over 1k and I am hard pressed to see a difference personally.

One thing that sold me on Swaro was glassing at long distances. I took a pair of razors and ELs outside sportsman’s warehouse where I could glass a hillside about 3 miles away (verified on google earth). I couldn’t even begin to pick out details on the hillside with the razors it was a complete waste of time. It was almost like I couldn’t get them to focus. With the els I was able to spot elk and deer on the hillside. I couldn’t pick them up at all with the razors. Looking at objects within a few hundred yards around the store there wasn’t as big of a difference.

Now you might not be glassing up animals three miles away on a regular basis, but it could make a difference on a multi day hunt or scouting trip.

It can also make a difference when glassing for bedded animals and glassing in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: