Vortex ranger 1800

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm in the market for a new range finder. As a general rule I'm not a vortex fan but with their warranty on the rangefinder and the price I'm interested. I was just wonder if any of you guys have had field experience with this unit. I'm mainly intrested in actual distances it will mark for open western hunting.

I've owned a number of Vortex products over the years. Some better than others. IME rangefinders are their worst products. I'm sure others have different experiences but that was mine.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I have messed around with one, seriously, not impressed....and I like Vortex stuff. Sig Sauer Kilo is a much better RF, in my opinion.

I bought one last year because of the warranty and a really good deal I got. It's been average at best. I could only consistently get it to range out to 650-800 depending on the terrain and weather.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
All the vortex guys on here an no one else has used this rangefinder in the field? I was kinda expecting it to Peter out around 900 to a 1000 yards . I didn't believe it would range as far as they said.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I sell em at work, and the only ones we sell are to guys who basically won't buy anything but Vortex, there are a lot better options, as far as I'm concerned. Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 or 2200 are great options, in the same price range, and will range deer at 1000+ yards. Sig also has a lifetime warranty. They're also coming out with a range finding Bino (Kilo 3000, 10x42) soon. The Vortex has a black reticle, which I found tough to read, vs a red readout on the Sig. Not trying to make this sound like a sig ad, but they do seem to outclass the vortex in most ways. The problem with most rangefinders is that they won't range animals at anywhere near the max distances they advertise. In that respect, neither will the sig, or any other that I know of. But the top end ones will range deer at 1000 yards, or close to it. That may not be a real consideration for most...I know I'm not shooting at anything 1000 yards away....but it is a consideration when you look at performance vs price, in my opinion.

All the vortex guys on here an no one else has used this rangefinder in the field?

I have, and know others on the site who have too. I think the lack of support for Vortex rangefinders on this thread speaks for itself. For a piece of equipment that could make or break your hunt I would choose a different option.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have, and know others on the site who have too. I think the lack of support for Vortex rangefinders on this thread speaks for itself. For a piece of equipment that could make or break your hunt I would choose a different option.
Well said. I like I will take your advise and run with it.