Vortex razor 10x42 vs 12x50???

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to pull the trigger on some vortex razors but I'm trying to decide what ones to get. I have the razor 11-33x50 spotter and the viper HD 85mm spotter too. I'll be hunting backcountry and lowland sagebrush country where I'd like to use them on a tripod as well as offhand. It looks like there's a 4oz difference between the two. I'm just wondering if anybody has any of the 12x and if they're worth buying over the 10x. My main concern is if they're gonna be too strong or shaky when pulling in on a stalk. Any advice would be awesome!

Last edited:

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
8s are about all a guy needs with a good spotting scope. They hold really steady for me even with elevated heart rate.

10s are better to distinguish little antler tips and hide quality in bears. But they are about all a guy can stabilize with any level of steady hold.

12s...... No way for me. The added power sounds great on paper, but is annoying to hold steady. I think the 12s with a tripod are a fine option without a spotter.

When you have a great spotter just need 8s then move to spotter for fine tuning your view.

AGPank

WKR
I had a pair of 10x42 razors and really like them for the light weight and great field of view. I'm not sure what the 12x FOV is, but I would assume it is less.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The razor 12s have a fov of 285' at 1000 yards. Not too shabby.

I am considering trying twelves on a few hunts this year since I spend more and more time glassing supported or on a tripod. Handheld glassing might be a challenge.

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
285 vs 362. I'd really like to give the 12x a shot especially for high country and big open brush country, but just wonder if they'll suffer in the other aspects of hunting.
If I could I'd just buy them both.

8s are about all a guy needs with a good spotting scope. They hold really steady for me even with elevated heart rate.

10s are better to distinguish little antler tips and hide quality in bears. But they are about all a guy can stabilize with any level of steady hold.

12s...... No way for me. The added power sounds great on paper, but is annoying to hold steady. I think the 12s with a tripod are a fine option without a spotter.

When you have a great spotter just need 8s then move to spotter for fine tuning your view.

I agree completely with all of this except I use 10's. Because sometimes the spotter stays home.

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
How about a mathematical perspective

A half mile 880 yards, let's say 800 to keep it in round numbers.

12 power makes your visual as if it were 66 yards away

10 power makes your visual as if it were 80 yards away

14 yards difference. Not worth much at this distance

At a mile we double this

132 yards difference
160 yards difference

Now it's almost 30 yards. Probably a better use of power if glassing well over 1/2 mile from 1000 yards in, I don't see the big advantage.

At a 1000 your at 83 yards with 12 power
At a 1000 your at 100 yards with 10 power

17 yards or 51 feet difference at 1000 yards.

Maybe my math is screwy it's been a long day, but this is probably close enough.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
285 vs 362. I'd really like to give the 12x a shot especially for high country and big open brush country, but just wonder if they'll suffer in the other aspects of hunting.
If I could I'd just buy them both.

Yeah, I would use the 12s for specific hunts. 8s or 10s are typically a better all-around choice. The Razor 10s have a crazy wide spec. Most quality 10s have a FOV of 310-330 ft. at 1000 yards.

AZ Vince

WKR
12's on a tripod as I find I can't hold them steady enough. Heck, I often have to steady my 10x binoculars too.
8x or 10x would be the max for handheld I think. I use a pair of 8x or 10x for handheld and then a pair of 15x on the tripod. Since both the 12x and the 15x will have to go on a tripod, for me, I opted for the 15x and called it a day.

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate everybody's input. I think I'm gonna go with the 10x and pack one of my spotters. I'm gonna still keep an eye out for a smokin deal on some 12x just for fun.

idig4au

WKR
I use Swaro 12x50's as my primary optics. I've found that I can use them w/o a tripod if I sit down and prop them up over one of my treking poles. This method is pretty solid and much better then trying to use 10 power bino's with using my elbows wedged against my knees. I can't hold any glass steady enough while just standing up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the 12X50 Razors and used them exclusively last year. I came from using 10X32 19 oz Zeiss Victories which also demanding a steady hand to hold. Before that i had 10X42 Swaro ELs. Honestly, I have come to like and prefer the 12X power. I was able to pick out details with free hand (sitting hands on knees) that the guy with Swaro 10X42s could pick out, when looking at which caribou was legal for him to shoot last fall. I don't see myself going back to 10X anytime soon as I certainly don't feel handicapped at all, in fact I feel I can see more than compared the to 10X Zeiss and Swaros I was running. Now 12X Swaros....you might have something there ;)

OP
A

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Luke are your 12x hard to use in a situation like a final close up bow stalk? How about first and last light too?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't feel hamstrung at all in first and last light at all to be honest.

As far as final close up bow stalk, I really don't bow hunt. I've only taken two big game animals with a bow. But if I'm going on final stalk (inside 100 yards) I'll be using my rangefinder to get constant updates of distances and I stalk as well as look at the animal rather than range and swap to binos. A quality rangefinder gives more than I need to see generally at my rifle distances (sub 300 yards) so I rarely swap back to binos even in that regard unless trying to look at which animal is which. Thats just me though and I'm a very novice bow hunter so take that for what its worth.

Given the choice to do it all over again though, I go with the 12X!

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I have always had 10x42s up in ND and there is a lot of long distance open country glassing. I recently took a buddy's 12x50 razors down to New Mexico to chase Aoudad. In the week that I used them I feel I have found my new bino. It took some getting used to because they are noticeably more shaky off hand. I was very impressed with the details I was able to pick out even when sitting next to my friend who was running Swaro 10x42s. I agree with Luke and think that 12 power especially when supported is the way to go.

Spoonman

WKR
I have 10’s, 12’s, and a spotter. I find I use my 12’s (Mostly for bear hunting) more than anything. I bring a tripod all the time. Once I’m on my final stalk (bow, or muzzleloader) I don’t need binos at all. It’s really up to the person using the glass. When archery or muzzy elk I use 10‘s cause up here in NW Washington chasing coastal bulls you don’t need any more than 10’s.