Vortex Razor 4000GB Initial Impression

I have been using the Maven RF1 for a few years and love it. My only complaint was the 0.5 yards for archery and no ballistics. I prefer handheld for rangefinders.

I decided to give the razor 4000gb a go for this year and just got it. Initially it feels very similar to the Maven and both are made in the Phillipines. It’s oddly similar I am going to guess they are made at the same factory but could be wrong. The glass is better than a Sig 8K I tried and the GeoBallistics app so far is extremely easy to use and from my limited use has lined up with Strelok for me. The Sig is faster and has awesome features but you pay for it.

The onboard environmentals seem to work great and the wind buttons on top of the rangefinder are probably my favorite feature.

I’ve used Maven for riflescopes and really like their offerings but the RF1 while really good left me wanting a little more out of a rangefinder. I liked the Sig 8K but realized it was overkill for my needs. The Revic also looks amazing but overkill for me. The 4000GB was in a good price range right in the middle.

This 4000GB is the only vortex optic I own but I’m honestly pretty impressed. If all goes as planned I think this will be a great unit. I plan to test it in cold temps and validate the data past 1k on a few setups. Really hope there is reliability with it.

Has anyone else given this a go or had any issues with it?

No but interested in the accuracy of the environmental inputs and ballistic outputs.

I wouldn’t mind hearing your impressions if you put in your own rifle/ammo and get a chance to test the outputs in varying weather and elevations

No but interested in the accuracy of the environmental inputs and ballistic outputs.

I wouldn’t mind hearing your impressions if you put in your own rifle/ammo and get a chance to test the outputs in varying weather and elevations
Sounds great! Will report back if I remember and have some good data! I’ll compare with kestrel.

Would love to hear how it does in the cold. The only vortex rangefinder I’ve had was a decoration piece under about 40 degrees but it was a pretty cheap unit and years ago.

Would love to hear how it does in the cold. The only vortex rangefinder I’ve had was a decoration piece under about 40 degrees but it was a pretty cheap unit and years ago.
Agreed my first ever elk hunt my rangefinder couldnt take the 6 degree weather while I watched a nice bull get shot.. It finally ranged at 181 so I now carry extra battery close to me to try and keep it warm. I have tested the Maven down in the low 20’s last year no issue ranging on 1st rifle CO elk but will do a lot more cold weather testing on this unit before the season.

Also following this
Would love to hear more after some good field use
Very intrigued by the wind buttons
The wind buttons are amazing and the compass can point wind angle by pointing RF. I saw the new sig 10k has them as well. I’ll follow up with a detailed report once I can get some good use on this thing

Agreed my first ever elk hunt my rangefinder couldnt take the 6 degree weather while I watched a nice bull get shot.. It finally ranged at 181 so I now carry extra battery close to me to try and keep it warm. I have tested the Maven down in the low 20’s last year no issue ranging on 1st rifle CO elk but will do a lot more cold weather testing on this unit before the season.
Yeah I’ve got a maven now and it’s worked very well. I keep hoping maven will come out with a version with a ballistic solver

Yeah I’ve got a maven now and it’s worked very well. I keep hoping maven will come out with a version with a ballistic solver
Agreed I was waiting for it but went and ahead and wanted to try this as it looks so similar to the Maven and both made in Phillipines surely there isn’t a huge difference but could be wrong.

Back