Vortex Razor gen 1 vs gen 2

Spoonman

WKR
So I’ve never owned a decent spotting scope and I have a chance to get a gen 1 16-48x65 razor for $750 new. Is there any differences other than the focus wheel on the two scopes that I should know about? Does the gen 2 have better glass or anything else that I’m not seeing described? Thanks in advance.

I've owned both gens and I believe the first gen is superior in build quality and function / ergos. Glass is probably equal, I couldn't tell much a difference there. I'd go first gen for all the above reasons and plus it's cheaper.

In the ones I’ve looked through the gen 1 was superior. Better glass, better build, and IMO better focus. One thing the gen 2 has going for it is it has a wider field of view, but I still would choose a gen 1 if the price is right.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
So I just got off the phone with Vortex to ask them some questions on the 2 different spotters. They said the gen 2 has Superior glass to the gen 1. The gen 2 also weighs in at 12oz more than the gen 1. The focus wheel on the gen 2 is the “industry standard “ and that’s why they got rid of the corse/fine focus knob. I’m going for the gen 1 based on the weight, focus knob, and the fact that I’ve now looked through both and I can’t tell the difference in glass.

beason_us

FNG
This is an old thread but that was a good choice. I had a Gen 1 Razor 85mm and loved it. I sold it when the new ones came out and bought a Gen 2. I am highly disappointed with it. It doesn't focus nearly as sharp. I also hate having to awkwardly reach around the scope to focus it with my hand vs. very easily focusing with 1 finger on the old version. I now own the Gen 2 85mm and a Gen 1 65mm. The 65 has me missing my old scope so much that I'm selling my Gen 2 and getting a Gen 1 again. Also as a side note. Swarovski ATS eyepieces fit the Gen 1 Razor models. They're not much better but there is a slight improvement IMO. I checked this by taking my scope to Sportsman's and putting a Swaro eyepiece into it. It was slightly brighter and slightly clearer again IMO. I'm downgrading to the Gen 1 85mm and buying a 30x SW wide angle Swarovski eyepiece. I'll use it then switch to my 20-60 razor eyepiece if I want to get a closer look...

bigmooi

FNG
This is an old thread but that was a good choice. I had a Gen 1 Razor 85mm and loved it. I sold it when the new ones came out and bought a Gen 2. I am highly disappointed with it. It doesn't focus nearly as sharp. I also hate having to awkwardly reach around the scope to focus it with my hand vs. very easily focusing with 1 finger on the old version. I now own the Gen 2 85mm and a Gen 1 65mm. The 65 has me missing my old scope so much that I'm selling my Gen 2 and getting a Gen 1 again. Also as a side note. Swarovski ATS eyepieces fit the Gen 1 Razor models. They're not much better but there is a slight improvement IMO. I checked this by taking my scope to Sportsman's and putting a Swaro eyepiece into it. It was slightly brighter and slightly clearer again IMO. I'm downgrading to the Gen 1 85mm and buying a 30x SW wide angle Swarovski eyepiece. I'll use it then switch to my 20-60 razor eyepiece if I want to get a closer look...
in case you were still looking/wanting: https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...hd-20-60-x-85-spotting-scope-angled/p/1232811