Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Gen 1 Spotting Scope - Good Choice?

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I recently drew a virtually once-in-a-lifetime trophy bull elk tag for this fall. It is the Monroe Mountain, Utah limited entry early rifle tag. Although I've hunted elk in northern Utah, I've only downed a raghorn 4x3 bull and a spike to this date. Now I'm getting the chance at an area with true trophy potential... after ONLY 12 years of putting in for it! Needless to say, I'm excited, overwhelmed, etc. I normally hunt with a 10x40 pair of Nikon Monarch 7s. But thought I'd get a spotter for this trip.

I would not consider myself a backcountry hunter. But I usually hunt with others and am willing to hike away from the truck up to a couple miles. So I'm not going to be confined to the road, especially for this hunt.

I got a killer deal on a new Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Gen 1 Spotting Scope for less than $800. However, I am now questioning as to whether I've bought the right scope. I know so many of you will say Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. But I'm pretty set on the Razor. I'm just wondering if I've bought the right one for me for this trip. Are the new Gen 2 models REALLY any better than the first generation? I've heard varied and differing opinions here. If so, in what ways and is it enough to make a real difference? The other pertinent question: Is the 20-60x85 so large that I will never take it beyond the truck? Would I be better off with the 65mm objective model?

Also, I am wondering what would be a good tripod / head for the scope I've purchased. I've heard good things about the Promaster XC525C. I think there's a Camerland NY deal right now. Can this tripod handle such a large spotting scope? Is there another / better I should consider? I know that a good scope is nothing without a good tripod. But I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

What say you guys with more experience with this scope?

You will be fine with that spotter for the duration of you needing it. Before i went to college I ran Swarovski and Leica. Hardest part of college was having to sell my optics and to go with the Vortex Razor line of optics during that duration (Thankfully back to swaro now). Your Gen 1 & 2 razor I would worry about optical quality difference between the two. I have not sat down extensively behind a gen 2 but from my short experience and others I have talked to there is not really a difference. Just ergonomics and preferences with focuses. They defiantly are not the best out there but will do exactly what you need them to do for your hunt unless it fails on you (which has been known to happen). Now with your question about a 65 instead of 85... I would always pack the most power I could get. So with the razor line I would stay with the 85 to get the extra power if weight is not a problem. Now if it was a Swaro that the 60 you still got 20-60 I would not have a problem with packing the smaller objective.

Get out there and kill a good bull and have a great time doing it! The Razor will be just fine until you get your hands on a Zeiss, Leica, Kowa or Swaro and your realize all you have missed all this time ;);););)

For Tripod heads I run a Manfrotto Xpro. I have not had a problem with it ever. I am sure there are better out there but for me it works just fine!

2five7

WKR
That is an excellent scope for the money. They are a big heavy for packing in, but optically, it will do everything you need it to. I've been using mine extensively for about 6-7 years now. Every year I think I'll finally upgrade to a Swaro or Kowa, but the Razor is just good enough that I don't HAVE TO upgrade. That promaster tripd should be plenty to support the Razor.

The Razor line will be sufficient for a rifle elk hunt. Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, and Kowa are superior but IMO are not worth the extra cash in your situation. If you were hunting a different species my opinion might change. I'm not saying a situation couldn't occur where you'd want a Swaro but I would stick with the Razor on this hunt if I were you.

As far as objective size, I find that some hunters are willing to pack a heavy spotter and some aren't. I prefer to have a spotter I'm willing to pack and 65mm scopes are fine for my uses. You need to decide what you're willing to do and how much you're likely to want a spotter outside of the truck.

Regarding tripods, yes the Promaster XC525C is a great choice for legs and it will hold up just fine with an 85mm scope. Talk to Doug and see what head he recommends pairing with those legs and you should be good to go.

OP
fishbeafraid

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your thoughts and advice, guys. I will likely hold on to this scope for now. I should be able to recoup much of its cost if i decide to sell down the road.

OP
fishbeafraid

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I recently drew a virtually once-in-a-lifetime trophy bull elk tag for this fall. It is the Monroe Mountain, Utah limited entry early rifle tag. Although I've hunted elk in northern Utah, I've only downed a raghorn 4x3 bull and a spike to this date. Now I'm getting the chance at an area with true trophy potential... after ONLY 12 years of putting in for it! Needless to say, I'm excited, overwhelmed, etc. I normally hunt with a 10x40 pair of Nikon Monarch 7s. But thought I'd get a spotter for this trip.

I would not consider myself a backcountry hunter. But I usually hunt with others and am willing to hike away from the truck up to a couple miles. So I'm not going to be confined to the road, especially for this hunt.

I got a killer deal on a new Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Gen 1 Spotting Scope for less than $800. However, I am now questioning as to whether I've bought the right scope. I know so many of you will say Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. But I'm pretty set on the Razor. I'm just wondering if I've bought the right one for me for this trip. Are the new Gen 2 models REALLY any better than the first generation? I've heard varied and differing opinions here. If so, in what ways and is it enough to make a real difference? The other pertinent question: Is the 20-60x85 so large that I will never take it beyond the truck? Would I be better off with the 65mm objective model?

Also, I am wondering what would be a good tripod / head for the scope I've purchased. I've heard good things about the Promaster XC525C. I think there's a Camerland NY deal right now. Can this tripod handle such a large spotting scope? Is there another / better I should consider? I know that a good scope is nothing without a good tripod. But I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

What say you guys with more experience with this scope?

I ended up going with the SLIK Pro 824 CFL carbon fiber tripod and Manfrotto 128 RC Micro fluid panhead. Now to get out and use it! Went and did some scouting today but no real opportunity to use the new scope. I did however see a small bachelor group with two six point bulls in it. Things are looking up!