Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 F1 vs Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at putting together at 300 PRC early next year and trying to decide on scope. I have narrowed the options down to the Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 F1 vs Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1.

My main focus will be hunting, so I like the lighter weights of these two scopes for backcountry hunting. They both seem to be a good mix of long range hunting and long range target shooting, so I wanted to get specific feedback from guys that have experience with both.

I have used the Razor HD on a 300 Win Mag, but the AMG and Nightforce NX8 looked like nice upgrades.

Thanks

kadechiz

FNG
I have both and I feel like at this level it’s splitting hairs. I’d lean NF because I like the slightly wider range and the resale is probably a bit better just in case. Both are perfect in my opinion.

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and I feel like at this level it’s splitting hairs. I’d lean NF because I like the slightly wider range and the resale is probably a bit better just in case. Both are perfect in my opinion.
Kind of what I was thinking...there probably is no wrong answer here.

I have used Vortex scopes and really have not had any issues. The NX8 MOAR reticle is a little cleaner than the AMG EBR-7B, but both are quite functional.

The wider magnification range may be worth checking out a NF...we shall see.

I have an AMG but would love to also have an NX8 (probably will sooner than later). The pluses, IMO, on the AMG are the reticle (I like the Christmas tree and I really like the floating center dot, as well as some of the reticles .5 MOA subtensions), locking turrets and the length in my case was a plus. I was able to have better mounting options and personal customization due to the scopes longer length on my rifle.

On the other hand the NX8 has a very nice and wide magnification range that I would truly appreciate when needed, it also has more internal adjustment. In certain cases depending on rifle configuration the shorter design can definitely be a plus.

All in all I don't think there is a bad choice between the two they are both great scopes. I think its going to come down to the little things that are important to YOU is what will help you decide.

My $0.02

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed some videos showing the NF reticle looks tough to see at the lower magnification range. Since my main focus will be hunting, have you seen any limitations or issues with using the reticle at lower magnification in low light situations?

Sako76

WKR
I was at Wolf Precision shooting school in PA last year and a cop from the Boston suburbs had a brand new Vortex AMG and it took a chit after 60 rounds on his Savage 300 WM, windage adjustment wouldn't work! Boy, was he pissed. Nightforce all the way!

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I was at Wolf Precision shooting school in PA last year and a cop from the Boston suburbs had a brand new Vortex AMG and it took a chit after 60 rounds on his Savage 300 WM, windage adjustment wouldn't work! Boy, was he pissed. Nightforce all the way!
I would be pissed as well.

I just don't see much negative feedback on Nightforce , but my experience with Vortex (Razor HD) has been good so far. I have one on a Weatherby 300 WM with no issues, and I am putting one on a new PF Grendel 6.5.

I have more homework to do before I select my next scope for a custom rifle.

This guy is pissed too... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
This guy is pissed too... 🤷‍♂️

I think any manufacturer can produce a shitty scope. Its a lot harder to swallow when its in that price range though.

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I had a couple of instances working with Vortex's CS.

The first was with a faulty Ranger 1500 Rangefinder. The CS sent me a new one with no questions as it was easy to see the product was not accurately reading distances. No harm, no foul.

The second was not their fault at all. I had sent in my Razor HD binos for a minor repair and a porch pirate stole the package containing my binos. I had a brief meeting with the carrier that delivered the original package, and we determined it was stolen.

Vortex quickly sent a new pair of binos! I could not have been happier with their CS.

The AMG has been great for me this year, I bought it used on here, and it dials out to 650yds and returns to zero without issue. Ive smacked it on a rock and been pretty tough on it and its kept zero. I shot a great bull in the last minute of shooting light this year at 90 yds on 6x and it was bright enough to make it happen and I just got back from a mule deer hunt and it dialed to 430 yds perfectly after a rough 1/4 mile sage brush belly crawl. Im not a huge numbers shooter, (howa 300wm gets hot as shit after 4 rounds) so I only have about 120 rounds this summer/fall through it. For a hunting rig, im pretty stoked with it.

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
The AMG has been great for me this year, I bought it used on here, and it dials out to 650yds and returns to zero without issue. Ive smacked it on a rock and been pretty tough on it and its kept zero. I shot a great bull in the last minute of shooting light this year at 90 yds on 6x and it was bright enough to make it happen and I just got back from a mule deer hunt and it dialed to 430 yds perfectly after a rough 1/4 mile sage brush belly crawl. Im not a huge numbers shooter, (howa 300wm gets hot as shit after 4 rounds) so I only have about 120 rounds this summer/fall through it. For a hunting rig, im pretty stoked with it.
When you shot the elk at 90 yards on 6x, did you have to use the illumination or was the reticle fine on its own?

I appreciate the feedback!

OP
scott_co

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't have time to turn on the light, wind flipped and it was now or never!
Sounds like you could see the reticle at the lowest magnification setting well enough. That has been my experience while using the Razor HD 5-20x50.

Congrats on the elk and mule deer.