Vortex Razor LH

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the razor LH scopes?
I'm looking at the 3-15x42 for my ultralight 6.5 saum.
I use it for hunting heavy timber and mid range out to around 700 yards.
I'd like to hear from guys who have done tracking tests specifically

Olyhunter

FNG
Robby has a great article on the Razor Hd Lh 2-10-40, can’t speak to the tracking. But I can say I like this scope a lot. Lightweight, Great glass, and with the G4 reticle (has a very fine dot) I am able to bring my groups in tight at 200. I am very happy with this scope, hunting the timber here in W. Washington, fwiw. Good luck

ChrisAU

WKR
I really liked a 3-15 I had, never tested the tracking but it adjusted correctly zeroing. Regret getting rid of it. Never heard any negative reviews of them.

LightFoot

WKR
I used a Razor 3-15x42 LH on my 300 WSM this year in AK for caribou. I was able to take a bull at a little over 400 yds.

The scope is good and the reticle was adequate for holdover, but going out more than that, I would want a FFP scope with exposed turret.

In fact, after that trip, I took the LH off my rifle with plans to go FFP & exposed turret.

The difficulty for me was that I had to dial to 15 to used the reticle, but I had trouble finding the bull with the magnification that high. I dialed down to acquire and then had to dial back up, even though I was very confident at 6, 7, or 8x. You'd be surprised how easy it is to lose a bull out of your scope on high magnification even out at 400 or 500 yds.

>>>----JAKE----->

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine and it’s lightweight. Exposed turrets are overrated in real world ethical hunting shots. (Coming from a converted exposed turret guy).

bradb

WKR
I used a LH this year on Canada on my sheep and moose. I like the scope a lot. I don't find the going to 15 any real issue. And as much as exposed turrets are not "needed" I still like them also.
I use both just depends turret designs. Same goes for FFP or SFP, there are trade offs there also

• Banned
OP
W

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys
Yeah I run ffp with exposed turrets on my dedicated LR rifles and it's the only way I'd ever go for that kind of work.
I guess I'm hoping the 3-15 will bridge the gap for hunting in thick timber, while being capable of solid performance across those 500-700 yard clear cuts.
Anyone find the eye box to be finicky, or is target acquisition pretty fast?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I guess I'm hoping the 3-15 will bridge the gap for hunting in thick timber, while being capable of solid performance across those 500-700 yard clear cuts.
Anyone find the eye box to be finicky, or is target acquisition pretty fast?

Eyebox is relatively tight, though usable. Reliability and adjustments/tracking are at best spotty.

Scope is great for the money if it works!Lightweight, great glass, HSR-4 reticle. But can’t speak for tracking. Turrets on my scope is mushy without positive feedback. Sunshade loose and did not screw all the way. I contact Vortex 2nd time, and got this reply.
5B14DFDA-3EA0-484D-8DDD-3682BE680A51.png

Last edited:

0uTkAsT

FNG
I have two of the 1.5-8's and love them, but I'm not much of a knob twister, especially on a hunting rig. I'll echo that they have great glass and I enjoy the reticles, but do have a tight eyebox at the higher end of the spectrum.

I would look elsewhere for the type of optic it sounds like you're looking for... I don't think you'll be happy with the LH. Maybe look at something like the Nikon Black FX1000, I have one on a non-hunting rifle and I'm happy with the turrets and how accurately they track. But again, this isn't really my wheelhouse so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
No official tracking tests but always tracks correctly when dialing. I have it mounted on a 6.5 cm and I am very comfortable with 700 yard shots. Having capped turrets is no big deal, for hunting guns it’s my preference. I have the g4 reticle and I love it because it’s so clean. I did add a lever to focus ring to make it easier to zoom in and out faster and also helps when wearing gloves. Overall it’s a great scope, will probably buy another.

I have one on a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win, one on a Tikka T1X in 17 HMR, and another needing a rifle to go onto it. The glass is very good; it will hang with my Swaro SLCs in low light.

My biggest gripe is the lack of a zero stop. Not a show stopper but is something to keep in mind.

Never done a formal tracking test. However, the one on the 17 HMR gets moved 50 times from 100-300 yards each session. Never an issue going to zero (100 yards). The one on my 308 has been all over the place and never had an issue returning to zero.

I prefer the HSR reticle. The G4 reticle is great for target shooting against a light target. If you put that G4 reticle on a dark object (target or animal) it disappears. Very similar to a FFP scope on low magnification; great on light objects but crap on dark objects. NOTE: This is based on my eyes.

Take a look at the Leopold VX5. Similar price point, comparable (maybe better) glass, and has a zero lock.

OP
W

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have one on a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win, one on a Tikka T1X in 17 HMR, and another needing a rifle to go onto it. The glass is very good; it will hang with my Swaro SLCs in low light.

My biggest gripe is the lack of a zero stop. Not a show stopper but is something to keep in mind.

Never done a formal tracking test. However, the one on the 17 HMR gets moved 50 times from 100-300 yards each session. Never an issue going to zero (100 yards). The one on my 308 has been all over the place and never had an issue returning to zero.

I prefer the HSR reticle. The G4 reticle is great for target shooting against a light target. If you put that G4 reticle on a dark object (target or animal) it disappears. Very similar to a FFP scope on low magnification; great on light objects but crap on dark objects. NOTE: This is based on my eyes.

Take a look at the Leopold VX5. Similar price point, comparable (maybe better) glass, and has a zero lock.
Thanks for the detailed feedback
Tracking accuracy is a big one for me, I had a vx5hd 3-15 that was way off when I did a tall target test.
I think it was off by close to 3 moa at 25 minutes!
the only Leupolds I trust to track are my Mk5's, I've had all the vx lines fail horribly including a vx6