Vortex Viper 85mm vs razor 85mm spotter scope

mbro

FNG
I currently have a vortex razor 11-33x50 spotter scope, I thinking about upgrading to a big boy 85mm. Has anyone had actual experience using both in the field? Is the razor that much clearer? I’ve watched some YouTube videos and they all say they can’t tell the difference. I’m hunting the AZ desert now, and will be living and hunting Hawaii next year.

I had both, in 65mm. The difference was so disappointing that I sold them both. Unusable at high mag in any conditions, horrific CA, bad edge to edge clarity, totally incapable of glassing towards the sun/shaded slopes.
Get a used Swaro or Leica.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
mbro

mbro

FNG
I had both, in 65mm. The difference was so disappointing that I sold them both. Unusable at high mag in any conditions, horrific CA, bad edge to edge clarity, totally incapable of glassing towards the sun/shaded slopes.
Get a used Swaro or Leica.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input! I have a trade pending for a used razor 85mm, I’ll probably use it a couple seasons then upgrade. I just love the vortex warranty

OP
mbro

mbro

FNG
Vortex is garbage. Maven would be worth looking into
I’m new to the glassing game, i think it’s alright to grow into. I started with Walmart binos that I thought were good then moved up to vortex diamondbacks and I thought glass couldn’t get any better. I jumped into the razor last season and I was blown away. So I think if I jump up to Swaro, Lecia, or Maven I don’t know that I’d be able to appreciate the quality of the glass lol

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I had 3 pairs of vipers fail on me all had water and or condensation in them. I had a viper ? Spotting scope that was useless. So got the rzr and it wasnt much better. Then I went to mavens for several years and had great experience. Have since went to the nl swaros and they are crazy. Also kowa makes some good glass

Using your preferred search engine, search for Backwoods Pursuit Spotting Scope.

They did a pretty good review of various spotting scopes based upon price points and objective sizes. There are some hidden gems in there.