Vortex Viper HD: Swing and a maybe a miss...

Thought this would have been a better launch.

A capped, BDC 2-10 @ 19 ounces...meh

A SFP antiquated, red dot center illum, 3-15...less meh

A FFP 5-25 with a good/decent reticle...maybe not meh at all...hopefully

Something tells me these will not be as awesome as they could have been.

I have to say this whole revamped lineup is underwhelming. I wish they'd take a stab at slimming the Razor G3 down some to make an AMG 2.0 scope. If they could somehow translate the optical quality of the G3 into a lighter package with a lower zoom range that'd be pretty awesome.

If they would have taken the 2-10 and added an exposed elevation turret they would have had a winner. The problem is the people who value mid range magnification are often those smart enough to avoid Vortex and they won’t have sold many.

Instead Vortex, as a marketing and customer service company that happens to sell optics, did what the focus group said and added more magnification to a line of glass that can’t support more than 10-15x. Just remember there are a bunch of poor souls rolling around with Gen 1 Viper 6-24x SFP scopes that think they have a good long range scope.

I was just looking at these and thought the 3-15 is great looking scope. No FFP ends the discussion.

Can't believe they didn't consult the RS experts during the "drawing board" part of product development. Imagine how many they'd sell. FWIW, I've never owned a Vortex scope.

Back